Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody travel with a laptop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:18 AM
cfmii11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used a laptop on occasion, I just got a Dell notebook for $50 when I bought a new Laptop. I'll be packing that now.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A few things to consider. Netbooks (Acer, Dell, HP, ASUS) don't come with CD or DVD drives. You'll need either a flash drive or a USB CD/DVD drive to install programs. Not a big deal if you are prepared.
I'd also pay the extra $$ for the solid state drive, not a traditional hard drive that spins. Battery life is often improved and so is boot up time, and it will take a bit more shaking.
Buy a good 'sleeve' to travel with, you don't need a full blown case or bag, it takes up too much room. If it's padded, you are all set.
I've traveled with both (Netbooks and laptops) on my bike, I like the Netbook style better, smaller, and you get used to the small size/keyboard layout quickly. Even though I have a detach tourpack for my SG, long trips means space is at a premium.
An air card or an adapter for your cell phone (if you have an Internet plan) will get you online if you can't find free wireless, but most motels offer it now.
I've installed many laptops in vehicles for Police/Fire/Ambulance (I'm the IT guy for a small town) and as long as you don't abuse things, you should be fine. If you beat on stuff, buy a $4500 Panasonic Toughbook that can take it.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

WOW! I wasn't expecting so many responses. Thanks for all the good information. I found an Asus on sale at Best Buy with the solid state hard drive. I was planning to use the free high-speed WiFi at most of the motels I stay at, but I also found out that I can connect thru my cell phone on a pro-rated basis and only pay for the days I use it, rather than paying a monthly charge. Thanks again for all the good info!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:08 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kinda defeats the purpose of freedom of the road and pressures of work doesn't it? Most all hotels have Desktops in the lobby you can log on and check email anyway. I use the room for other things.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:13 PM
HiPlainsHeritage
Cruiser

I bought an Acer Netbook that would be perfect for such a purpose. However, a computer in any configuration would resemble work. Since I don't pack a shovel, I am not packing a computer.

Weather? Look up.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:21 PM
bennenrkc
Tourer

I use an HP Mini for my notes at school and haul it back and forth between school and home on my Road King everyday, tried that with a regular Laptop and I destroyed a hard drive within the first 2 weeks, granted I didnt have clothes to pack it around just my gel pad and bookbag, but I love my Mini. One of the problems most people say is that the need to buy a USB CD/DVD drive, i disagree with that statement any software that you need is available over the internet via download or can be loaded onto a jump drive and transferred over using that.
I also Like the HP because I have fat fingers and it has the largest keyboard, 92% of a regular keyboard, and I can type on it just as well as a normal keyboard, also the 10 inch wide screen is nice as the print doesnt have to be as small. just my .02

Old 05-21-2009, 02:21 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I travel with my laptop all the time. I also have a blackberry but the laptop comes in handy. As mentioned in other posts you can connect to the internet at lots of places. When I started bringing my laptop on the bike I was worried about vibrations but so far so good. I have been commuting for about 3 years with my laptop and no issues so far.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I use an ITouch for checking email while on vacation.
Most places now have free wifi ( Subway, Arby's, and other fast food places )

I have considered a netbook just because of the bigger keyboard but then I can put it in my pocket.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:31 PM
binkman78
Club Member

Originally Posted by gunner11
Kinda defeats the purpose of freedom of the road and pressures of work doesn't it? Most all hotels have Desktops in the lobby you can log on and check email anyway. I use the room for other things.

Now that's the correct answer......

Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm veging here on the front porch of a hotel in Jim Thorpe, PA in the middle of my return trip to VT after a visit with friends in NC. Went down through the Shenandoah Valley and came up the BRP and Skyline Drive. Powering up the little Acer to read some forum stuff and read non-business e-mail doesn't remind me of work at all!

The Acer netbook packs easily between soft stuff in the tour pac and most every place we stop has WiFi. I use Map Source and I'm able to transfer info between the PC and Garmin Zumo. I also have MS Maps and Trips loaded on it (using an external CD reader).

Quick Reply: Anybody travel with a laptop?