Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody travel with a laptop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 PM
MotorSgt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a sony vaio i travel with. I put it in my back pack I fasten to my sissy bar works well

Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by billjr
I have a macbook and at&t air card and use it all over if my cell has signal I can get on the net. Make sure the area you are traveling to has the signal for what cell card you get. And if you are going to go and get one remember you will be in a 2 year agreement. Most of the netbooks have wireless on them and there are a lot of places with wifi so make sure you want a 2 year at $60.00 plus taxes a month.
Verizon mobile day pass is $15.00 per 24 hr period. Works anywhere you have a cell phone signal.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:49 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
Can anybody offer some advice on traveling with a laptop?
About two months ago I bought an Acer netbook with 1gb RAM and 16gb SSD on sale at Mwave.com for $250. I purposefully selected one without a mechanical HD because I feared the vibration would kill the drive. I just returned from a week-long 3K-mile ride in the Smokies and the netbook survived.

Unfortunately I was never able to load Garmin Mapsource with the CN 2009 upgrade like I had hoped. I did manage to load Mapsource and CN 2008 but the upgrade process for CN 2009 insisted that I needed more storage space, which was a false claim. I only needed about 1.5gb and although I didn't have it on the 8gb boot partition there was a full 8gb usable on the second partition (added card showing as the D: drive). I gave up but was able to load the Power Commander software and some other apps. A mechanical HD with more space would've helped here, but I still wouldn't want to subject it to that environment.

I decided not to use Mapsource with CN 2008 since the Zumo had CN 2009 loaded and sometimes these differences cause problems for the software. I still may uninstall some apps and try installing CN 2009 again some day.

Since most motels now have wifi or connection via Cat5 cable I had internet access at all destinations except one (Motel 6). That was a big help in determining weather for the remainder of the ride in various locations. The Weather Channel on TV gives local weather and general forecasts for other regions, but not the detailed info you can get in the 'Net.

Last edited by iclick; 05-20-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I travel with mine for work but for pleasure i'm not lugging it anymore. I am typing this on my Blackberry Storm and it works great.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Chucky
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Lenovo T400 and a Lenovo S10 Netbook. The netbook is less powerful and less battery life, but it will run just about any software and will connect to the Internet via wifi or wireless card. The screen and keyboard on the netbook leave something to be desired, but it does work and is very portable. You can always plug in a keyboard, mouse, and monitor if you need to.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:00 PM
dynaglider
Tourer

Strapping a Dell Lattitude laptop to my rear fender every day required three replacement "shells", that is, everything but the hard disk drive (hdd). Strangely, the hdd never failed. Since I began carrying it back and forth to work across my back in a messenger bag, I have had no more trouble. (I use one of Aerostich's made-in-the-USA bags.)

Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I carry a full size laptop, I usually just stick it between layers of clothes and put it in the saddlebag, standing upright. But between the laptop and the power brick, it does take up quite a bit of precious space. If I toured more often, I might justify a smaller laptop.

I never have a problem finding a connection while traveling, motels and coffee shops usually have free wireless. If you're looking to be able to connect in campgrounds and parks, you'll need an air card, but the monthly fee is kinda hefty.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ASUS EPC1000HE, 160G hd, 10 inch screen, no dvd, I just load everything on a flash drive, and then download. verizon usb card. If you have a phone signal it works. Targus soft padded bag. I used it till the battery ran down, checking to see how long it lasted. 6 1/2 hr of constant use.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

+1 on the ASUS; it runs forever on a charge - I got rid of my AT&T aircard - the reception sucked.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:19 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I have a Netbook. Bought it specifically for carrying on the bike. The smaller screen and keyboard takes some getting used to, but the small profile is well worth it. Buy a USB aircard and you're set.

Quick Reply: Anybody travel with a laptop?