Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resale values

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Siberianhusky
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resale values

Has anyone noticed that the resale values on Road Kings went down a lot.

It appears that dyna's retain their value.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Resale on my King didn't go down at all. It would still take at least what I paid if not more for someone to get me to sell it to them.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Open Road
Road Captain

The market on all the models has dropped off dramatically (the MoCo will not use that term). Look around.....Cycle Trader, Craigslist, ebay. If you're going to sale a bike right now, it will most likely be for much less than you feel it should be.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...resale?...WHAT resale.....better keep what-ya-got these days....as an adjuster, I have to total-loss bikes once in a while...it's really shocking to see values for blinged-out HD's so low...2000-2002 Road kings...worth about 9k for insurance purposes....some people have 25K-30K into these things...and no, they don't pay extra for all the chrome bling...their position is this.."ok so you paid $2k for those wheels?..fine, take em off and put the stock ones back on if you want"...nothing extra..at least that's the way it is here in Mass...

Old 05-20-2009, 05:44 PM
poppa cooter
Tourer

yeah it is that way with all of them now. if the market was better i probably would have an 09 or 2010 when they come out. but as it is now i got my payment the way i want it and don't want to lose any money on the bike i have so i will just enjoy the one i have. unless they come out with a water coled tourer then i will give it a year or 2 and let them get the bugs out, and goodbye 07.=D

Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

yea just watch ebay 95% of the bikes end up reserve not met, people don't realize how bad the market is

Old 05-20-2009, 06:28 PM
jongilbert1
Intermediate

Ive been studying this very hard the past month since my bike totaled out. The only thing that has gone down considerably is what the insurance companies pay, and they pay on the NADA book value usually. Try to buy that 01 or 02 for 9k. It isnt happening if your looking to buy a touring bike of any kind (maybe a worn out police bike). Im talking craigslist or ebay and especially the local dealers ( 12 Ive checked with ) The only ones Ive seen worth a bit less or are hard to sell is the 07 models due to the noise in the transmission on the 6 speed (I didnt know there was this problem untill I noticed the slightly lower sales then checked on forums here )
I also have noticed that there are not many new 09 road kings available at the dealers around atlanta and the neighboring states....most have 70 bikes on the floor around here, but few Road Kings....not road king standards anyway, and very few classics/customs. There are bunches of the heritage models out there for sale on the floor.
Ill tell you what I ended up doing...I bought an 09 Road King that I had a dealer in S.C (Timms Harley) obtain from North Carolina..( I live In Atlanta and couldnt get any dealers to give me a good break..750 to 1200 they all wanted in extra fees, plus tax.. Im talking 12 dealers) Timms HD Gave me the bike for msrp less 500.00 plus freight. I was going to buy a good used Road King, but I noticed the kings went for, on average, 1000 less per year.( if a new one is 18 then an 08 would be 17, an 07 would be 16..then tapered off.. the 03 I could find for 13,500 every once and a while, but were few and far between. Many of them on Ebay didnt sale, but its always been like that, and the ones I contacted wouldnt budge much, they said they would keep it instead..most answers ( this was for non customized Harleys for Sale) so I bought the new one..It was a no brainer.

By the way Adjuster..I just recieved $20,378.00 for my totaled Road King Standard with 32k miles,10k in custom/aftermarket chrome. The progressive adjuster offered me (NADA ACV) 12,200.00 ( which was lower than I could buy one for anywhere)and 80 percent of the almost 10,000 plus tax. He said he couldnt give me labor on the parts without a receipt. I accepted.
My point is, I didnt buy a "good used Harley" because they were going for so much money that it just made sense to buy a new one. So..your dealer may be offering you waay less to buy or trade yours, but they are marking it up 4 to 5 k to sell them and individuals are doing the same. I know sales are slow due to the economy, but dont think for one minute resale has gone down the tubes. Try and seriously buy one...you will see.

Last edited by jongilbert1; 05-20-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Re-read and clarified my post.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 PM
jongilbert1
Intermediate

My Road King above was an 03 by the way. I left that out..srry

Old 05-20-2009, 09:01 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jongilbert1
Ive been studying this very hard the past month since my bike totaled out. The only thing that has gone down considerably is what the insurance companies pay, and they pay on the NADA book value usually. Try to buy that 01 or 02 for 9k. It isnt happening if your looking to buy a touring bike of any kind (maybe a worn out police bike). Im talking craigslist or ebay and especially the local dealers ( 12 Ive checked with ) The only ones Ive seen worth a bit less or are hard to sell is the 07 models due to the noise in the transmission on the 6 speed (I didnt know there was this problem untill I noticed the slightly lower sales then checked on forums here )
I also have noticed that there are not many new 09 road kings available at the dealers around atlanta and the neighboring states....most have 70 bikes on the floor around here, but few Road Kings....not road king standards anyway, and very few classics/customs. There are bunches of the heritage models out there for sale on the floor.
Ill tell you what I ended up doing...I bought an 09 Road King that I had a dealer in S.C (Timms Harley) obtain from North Carolina..( I live In Atlanta and couldnt get any dealers to give me a good break..750 to 1200 they all wanted in extra fees, plus tax.. Im talking 12 dealers) Timms HD Gave me the bike for msrp less 500.00 plus freight. I was going to buy a good used Road King, but I noticed the kings went for, on average, 1000 less per year.( if a new one is 18 then an 08 would be 17, an 07 would be 16..then tapered off.. the 03 I could find for 13,500 every once and a while, but were few and far between. Many of them on Ebay didnt sale, but its always been like that, and the ones I contacted wouldnt budge much, they said they would keep it instead..most answers ( this was for non customized Harleys for Sale) so I bought the new one..It was a no brainer.

By the way Adjuster..I just recieved $20,378.00 for my totaled Road King Standard with 32k miles,10k in custom/aftermarket chrome. The progressive adjuster offered me (NADA ACV) 12,200.00 ( which was lower than I could buy one for anywhere)and 80 percent of the almost 10,000 plus tax. He said he couldnt give me labor on the parts without a receipt. I accepted.
My point is, I didnt buy a "good used Harley" because they were going for so much money that it just made sense to buy a new one. So..your dealer may be offering you waay less to buy or trade yours, but they are marking it up 4 to 5 k to sell them and individuals are doing the same. I know sales are slow due to the economy, but dont think for one minute resale has gone down the tubes. Try and seriously buy one...you will see.
...we just started having Progressive in Mass in the last 6 months...I personally don't write claims for them...but the insurance co's that I do write for(Commerce-Liberty Mutual, Plymouth Rock..and a few more), would never give u close to that unless you had a rider on your policy..don't know how they came up with that value either because you can certainly buy a used Road king standard with that mileage and all blinged-out, for a lot less than $20,000...good for you though..but I'd never recommend a figure like that unless the bike was a one-off custom.....

Old 05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,038 Likes on 7,310 Posts

The resale on everything I own that floats and rolls has dropped off the charts.

A customer was in last week that owns a 2007 Street Glide with less than 3000 miles that he bought new. He is a custom car guy and keeps everything in doors in a heated shop and the bike is perfect. He was pissed because he went to the dealer he bought the bike from two years ago to try and trade for an Ultra Classis. They offered him $12,500 for it on trade.

That speaks volumes for a brand that did MUCH better just a few short years ago. For him that would work out to almost $9K for 3000 miles of use. Add insurance, service and fuel and it is an expensive hobby.

Quick Reply: resale values