Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shame on Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my ,
why bash the OP for not being mechanically inclined or not having the time to do the job?
Some folks have different talents like drinking beer or makin **** not everybody can do the mechanical jobs if it was like that there would be a hell of alot more hacks out there.

As for $25 to put the switch covers on I think that's about right, 20min job if the indy's rate is $75 an hour works to $25.

ride safe
Colin

Old 02-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Petesnot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealership in Salem, Oregon wanted $150 to install a speedometer in my wide glide. I went to an indy and paid him $25. Last year the same dealership had signs on every new bike "54 miles per gallon" When the salesman came to make his pitch I asked him about it. He just said he didn't know anything about the signs.
All these asshats want is our money.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:38 PM
aktid35
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Order the service manual off of ebay for $10 and perform it yourself, even buying every tool you need to do the job would only be 20 bucks at harbor freight and then you can keep em when your done. Total cost $30 and you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself

Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion: Sue Harley Davidson for mental anguish and emotional distress! And just leave em black.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
"There's a sucker born every minute"
"a fool and their money are easily parted"

My suggestion, do it yourself. Don't be a sucker or a fool.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHa,, That is funny..... you do know this thread is about 1 year and 9 months old

Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

they're bound to have quoted you the labor for swapping out the switch housings is all i can figure.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:40 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c50plus
The Stealer quoted me three hours $282 for labor to change the switch covers to chrome ones. I am not changing the buttons just the covers. An independent quoted me $25. What is wrong with this picture? Well, I think we lost our automobile industry for doing crap like this.

What a shame that many of us are so loyal to HD and they try to rape us like that.
Where do you live? Bring it over to my house I will do it for a six pack of Bud. Only takes me about an hour (2 hours if I drink the beer first)

Old 02-20-2011, 06:51 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,088 Likes on 22,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorcop540
Nice Avatar Stro.

Guys, guys, guys.. This guy motorcop brings up an almost
2 year old thread and you want to get on it..
Sheesh, surely you know that the dealer will charge closer to $300 now..

Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default There is usually a MINIMUM charge.

You have to realize that most HD service centers will charge a MINIMUM 1 hour charge even if it takes them 5 minutes. Most have that stated somewhere on the posted labor charge rate sign.

If he is just talking about the covers of the switches themselves that would be the 1 hour MINIMUM charge. You can do that yourself with a screw driver and an hex wrench. If he is talking about the housing that the switches are in, don't forget they usually have to remove all the switches from the old housing, remove the cables and levers from those housings, throttle cables, and depending on the model, mirrors and turn signals lamp housings as well as the master cylinder for the front brake. Then re-install it all back and re-adjust all the cable and that all takes time.

As far as that person that mentioned the 1 hour charge to pump 5 pumps of the grease gun, there again is the standard 1 hour MINIMUM charge.

For that other person that said to just go to Harbor Freight Tools and spend $20 on tools and do it yourself, let me know what Harbor Freight Tools you go to. I want to avoid that one if they are going to charge me that much for a cheap set of hex wrenches and a screw driver.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Not everyone should own tools

There are people that just should not touch anything mechanical. I have seen many horror stories being an automotive technican for almost 30 years.
My favorite saying is "Everyones a mechanic until they have to fix something"

Quick Reply: Shame on Harley Davidson