Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Must Trike, Bad Knees

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:40 PM
bluedoghd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Must Trike, Bad Knees

I will need to trike my 2008 ultra this winter because my knees are getting weak. Would like to have some suggestions on what trike conversion to go with. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:52 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

1 yr old Bike + conversion = lots of cash - might want to see what a dealer would do on taking your bike in against a new HD Trike. Just my .02, but the HD Trike would have a bigger dealer netwrork for you to get parts and service for it vs. a smaller Trike mfg.

Please don't put the training wheel set up on it though - that's just wrong !

Ya might have bad knees but a trike will get you back in the breeze ! I'll ride one when the time comes !

Old 05-19-2009, 03:55 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard good things about the Voyager setup. I have an older riding buddy that has it and likes it alot. It also keeps your options open.

http://www.mtcvoyager.com/

Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 PM
2Sore
Road Master

I've been researching this for about a year now. I'm not ready to invest the money yet but I'm down to the TrikeSmith or the DFT...both have their pluses and minuses but are better (IMO only) than any of the other trike kits.

Remember, no matter what kit you go with, you might have warranty issues with MoCo on the whole bike. A trailer hitch on the factory trike could also void your warranty. Ask a lot of questions when your ready to buy. Your talking a lot of money and you don't need a lot of grief on the back side of the deal. (Unless your filthy rich.)

Old 05-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
Thumbs up

I also have a GW trike along with my 2 wheel EGC. I did a lot of research before we triked ours. One of the most important things is the installer. You could go with the best kit in the world and a bad installer will make it the worst....research your installers more than the kit itself.

We went with the California Sidecar trike kit. We like it very much, rides smooth with the independent suspension...and if we're to have a new bike, no matter what brand, I would have the factory in VA do the install.

I like the CSC Dayton trike for the Ultra...

Call the factory ( if you're not to far away) and they will let you test drive a new UC with the CSC Dayton kit..I did and it was very smooth.

Good luck on whatever you choose and remember INSTALLER, INSTALLER...

Old 05-19-2009, 05:06 PM
2Sore
Road Master

PS..I've heard some good things about these guys...DFT and TS dealers.http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...94953623280811

Last edited by 2Sore; 05-19-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: addition to message
Old 05-19-2009, 06:26 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

DFT Trikes makes a couple of interesting options:

FL Smoothie

FL Touring

Lehman Trikes (Maker of the H-D Trike) used to make the Renegade for Ultra's, but from what I'm seeing on their site, they only make the Renegade for the Road Glide or Road King now. Must have a covenant not to compete with H-D...

Old 05-19-2009, 06:35 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search for and check the thread entitled "Looks like my 09 will have to go away..."
I think you'll find some good information there.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
pled55
Road Master

Originally Posted by bluedoghd
I will need to trike my 2008 ultra this winter because my knees are getting weak. Would like to have some suggestions on what trike conversion to go with. Thanks in advance for your help.

well if this is any help ... i'm on my second total knee replacement .and i still ride the hell outa my streetglide . if this is an option see what they can do to fix you instead of the bike. good luck

Old 05-19-2009, 07:37 PM
noacon
Intermediate

bluedoghd,

You will not go wrong with the Voyager setup it is a stable system and very affordable, around $4,000.00 and you can install it. Gives you several options and you can drive out and use two wheels after removing 2 bolts (takes 5 minutes). My wife rides a FXDL Low rider with this kit and she loves it. I do not have to worry about her dumping it anymore.

Quick Reply: Must Trike, Bad Knees