Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PYO Bagger Bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:17 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I just got a response from Paul. Here is the email he sent to me explaining why things are as they are with the bars. Call him if you have an issue with it and he will make it right for you. He's a good dude.

If you powdercoat the bars the grips won't fit because the powdercoat is too thick. You can paint the bars but it will just scratch and wear off once used and look ****ty in my opinion. Actually, painting under those grips could potentially cause the throttle grip to sieze and cause a serious injury or death! Battistini grips are made to fit over chrome bars or stock polished stainless bars and to be honest I don't really understand the "holes in the grips" concept. Your throttle grip is supposed to be lightly lubricated to prevent galling between the grip and handlebar when you switch to billet grips! How can you possibly keep lubrication inside the throttle area when you've got a bunch of holes drilled in your grips!?!?! In my opinion those grips look really cool but really sacrifice function (and possibly safety) for cosmetics. Those grips are probably fine for a show bike that doesn't see much use but have no real world use especially on a Bagger that see's touring use and weather...Just my opinion.

So, in answer to your question: I can't possibly make my bars to fit every style of grip available through the aftermarket. What I do do is make my bars work awesome with OEM HD parts and my Bagger Nation line of grips. My chrome bars will also work with every grip including Battistini. Furthermore, after thousands of sets of handlebars shipped this Battastini comment is the first one I've ever had. I imagine that most guys realize that a billet grip w holes drilled in them really does not work well on a regularly ridden motorcycle. I hope Battistini never has someone's throttle sieze open while riding from lack of lubrication. Perhaps maybe Battistini should be asked to make a larger diameter grip that fit's over a powdercoated bar?

As for my customer who chose my handlebar design: If any customer using my products in combination with anybody elses products has any issue whatsoever with fittment or function all he/she has to do is contact me and I'll do anything I can to accomadate them. In this particular case if we had know about grips vs black bars up front when the bars were ordered, I most likley would have had the customer send me the grips and I would have figured out a way to either open up the grips to accomadate the powdercoat or made a custom throttle end of the bar to accomadate the grips. That's the nice part of working with a full service company like mine who manufactures in house...Special orders don't upset us.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I'll inform my staff in case this situation arises in the future.

Thanks for choosing PYO and Bagger Nation and I look forward to seving you in future...

Paul Yaffe

Old 05-20-2009, 04:38 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a roller ball bearing assembly for the throttle. You just cut a little bit (1/2") off of the end, press the ball bearing assembly in and it lets the throttle pivot on it. It should minimize the wear and tear on the paint. It is a Ness Tech product cost is about $25. Hope this helps.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Big OH
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley goodies, thanks for ratting me out!! hhaa! haa! just kidding. No really thanks for getting this info, i kind of figured that was the reason they didnt paint the end of the bars.And as for the holes in the grips, i think its mainly a style thing, I like the look. I live in cali so i dont get to much bad weather, just a lot of sunny days, so as far as the function i dont think i will have a problem. Im going to paint the ends and see what happens. Thanks again, Big OH

Old 05-20-2009, 06:40 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Paul is just jealous he didn't think of that design first. Helping people out is what we do here.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:46 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Well those grips are awesome...I have a pair I bought sitting right here on my credenza that I had on my bike for 1 day They really are striking in appearence but God they were uncomfortable with no rubber and all the holes. I felt like I was holding two pencils in my hands. They are $150 grips and I've tried to sell them for $50 numerous times. Still for sale btw

Also my custom cut 10" Monkey Bars are done and on the bike, along with the painted inner fairing, RSD contrast cut grips and Ness mini oval mirrors. I hope to pick the bike up tomorrow and will post some pics.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:51 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Anyone else have some trick Yaffe stuff on their bikes? Let's see it.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:02 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Glider, PM sent regarding the grips. Let me know.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

real simple fix then, just polish the bars and put a thin layer of clear over that... prob work out fine...

Old 05-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

i have the monkey bars and i love them, everyone i know likes the fitment and look, i am even more proud to have bought them after reading that email...