Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding vs Coumadin

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:18 PM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Riding vs Coumadin

I知 posting in the Touring section since I知 riding an EGC and I figured most people with my blood disorder would be as old as I am (only 52), thus be riding baggers. This maybe a little off topic, OK a lot off topic but I want some opinions. I just started taking coumadin for two blood clots that were discovered in my leg and the several clots in my lungs (PE), yep really lucky to be here writing this post. The doctors want me to give up riding because a little road rash could lead to a lot of bleeding, which could be a dangerous event

Are there any riders out there on coumadin? If so what has your experience been on the drug and riding? Right now they are saying I知 going to be on it for life. I知 certainly am NOT giving up riding, I値l simply pack a much better first aid kit. I知 just looking for some feed back.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im on the same meds for differant reasons, but i wont quit riding either

Old 05-18-2009, 02:56 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

flhrbill,
By all rights, I 'should' be on something along the lines of Coumadin, due to elevated Platelet count as a result of my severe accident on 4/25/08 (lost my spleen, and more).

Normal platelet count is between 150,000 / mm3 and 450,000 / mm3. Shortly after I was released from the hospital, my platelet count was 1,820,000 (yeah, engine sludge was more fluid than my blood). My last check on 4/24/09 was 559,000, which is still pretty high above the normal maximum.

My doctor has said that because it is still coming down, he doesn't want to put me on coumadin, but will still consider that avenue should my numbers not drop by October.

For your situation, I would advise you (IMO) to wear protective gear at all times, as an additional safety measure. Prior to my accident, I rarily wore a helmet. Now, because of my accident and what I learned as a result, I wear a 3/4 helmet for 90% of my riding. I also wear my chaps at all times and will either wear my leather jacket or my H-D Stock II Mesh jacket with shoulder, elbow & back armor (it really works well on warm days to keep you safe, but also cool).

Should anything stupid happen (cager unexpectedly turning in front of ya or something like that), you will have a better chance of avoiding major issues with road rash.

The only concern I would have is that you may still experience clotting, and that can lead to very dangerous situations. Like you, I chose to keep riding...and only you can really understand the full implications of your situation. Hopefully you are able to move past this stuff and enjoy living life (vice having life live you)!

Good luck and ride safe!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:59 PM
PacBlue_07
Advanced

I'm not on the drug, but most doctors will tell you to stop riding because they usually see the bad end. Not understanding that riding is our life style.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:07 PM
XRider
Cruiser
Smile

Depending on the genesis of your lower extremity blood clots...DVT, would your treating physician consider a 'Greenfield Filter'? This is painlessly put into your abdominal vein through your upperleg vessel and helps prevent a leg bloodclot sending another embolus to your lungs PE. You might then be able to come off the coumadin and just take asprin or plavix...

If I fell and broke a bone, I'd mend in 6 weeks or so. If someone on therapeutic coumadin fell hard enough to break a bone then they may bleed to death from the trauma.

Life is about risks versus rewards and riding a motorcycle versus driving a cage is a greater risk but we each are rewarded more than the risk. When you add coumadin to that equation, the risk reward ratio is greatly altered...

Talk to your doc and be safe.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:15 PM
pugs
Tourer

The reasoning to stop riding is not so much road rash, but head or other internal trauma. With the coumadin you are at increased risk for intracranial hemorrhage which can be fatal. It is your call. Pros and cons etc.. I would agree with wearing protective head gear if you did decide to continue riding. Also, filters don't stop you from making clots, just catch the big ones before they get to your heart and lung. Definitely have a place in certain situations, but not for all situations. Good luck.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pugs
The reasoning to stop riding is not so much road rash, but head or other internal trauma. With the coumadin you are at increased risk for intracranial hemorrhage which can be fatal. It is your call. Pros and cons etc.. I would agree with wearing protective head gear if you did decide to continue riding. Also, filters don't stop you from making clots, just catch the big ones before they get to your heart and lung. Definitely have a place in certain situations, but not for all situations. Good luck.

+1 - Foods and juices can affect the saturation levels of this drug. You should have scheduled follow up visits to check blood levels. Until you get consistent with the levels of this drug in your system, I would not ride.

I los my FIL last year as he was on blood thinners trying to clear an aortic embolism when he fell, while squatting in front of the refrigerator, bumping his head. We lost him 4 hours later. Wearing a helmet is no gaurantee for survival under these conditions....

Ultimately it is your call but you did ask for opinions and this is my 0.02..

Old 05-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If in your situation, I think I would add a medical tag or bracelet as well, that way EMT's know how to treat you.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i had a heart attack last november, and they did the angioplasty and stent. two weeks after getting home, my groin was sore but got the harley out and rode up to muskogee for a grand slam at dennys. was tiring, and thought that the v.a. hospital is right there in muskogee so i should be okay. i'm on plavix, coreg, aspirin etc, all for thinning the blood, and am concerned with riding, but not enough to make me quit. was sort of a struggle getting back on and going riding that first short trip, but after healing up from the trip a couple of days, i went again, and now am "okay" riding, but nothing like before. dammit. sux getting old, ya know?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flhrbill
I’m posting in the Touring section since I’m riding an EGC and I figured most people with my blood disorder would be as old as I am (only 52), thus be riding baggers. This maybe a little off topic, OK a lot off topic but I want some opinions. I just started taking coumadin for two blood clots that were discovered in my leg and the several clots in my lungs (PE), yep really lucky to be here writing this post. The doctors want me to give up riding because a little road rash could lead to a lot of bleeding, which could be a dangerous event

Are there any riders out there on coumadin? If so what has your experience been on the drug and riding? Right now they are saying I’m going to be on it for life. I’m certainly am NOT giving up riding, I’ll simply pack a much better first aid kit. I’m just looking for some feed back.

Thanks
53 yrs. old and I've been riding on Coumadin for the last 10 years due having my aortic heart valve replaced with a artificial valve 13 years ago. I got very lucky last spring when I took a trip to the Ozarks and took a spill. 8K damage to the bike, road rash on the back and arm. I landed on my back and am still wondering how I didn't slap my helmetless head on the pavement. That will most likely be the last time I don't wear a helmet.

For me, I just enjoy riding so much it's worth the risk. I do wear a Medic Alert necklace.

Rick

Last edited by Egldr05; 05-18-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Riding vs Coumadin