Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding vs Coumadin

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Timex
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Been on Coumadin for over 10 years. Rode before and still ride. Life is way tooooo short not to. Use due caution, wear a helmet and protective clothing.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:10 PM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mslater741
i have had clots in my legs, and in portal and messintary veins ...found i have a blood clotting disorder ( A.P.L.A ) i had to take daily Fragmine shots in the stomach for 6 years.i now have been on coumadine for 3 years.. doc has never told me not to ride....i try to be safe but iam damn lucky to still be here, quess iam going to going to spend the rest of my time here living on my terms since they said i had no chance of surving my last clots and surgeries 9 years ago.
Originally Posted by mslater741
UPDATE TO MY EARLIER POST BACK IN MAY....well it happened to me 4 weeks ago , some guy ran a red light and took me out, i must admitt , while laying in the road... i was having some second thoughts how maybe this wasent a good choice after all...ends up i have 7 breaks on 5 ribs....they were afraid of internal bleeding, but i was real lucky....iam not sure i can go back to riding.....bike wont be repaired until jan....so i quess ill see how i feel next spring.
funny rereading my earier posts ....iam back to work now and my ribs have almost healed...i am more aware of guys not coming to complete stops at intersections. iam a mess with it, driving in my car, bike isnt back yet but i keep seeing myself laying in the street wondering if iam bleeding to death... i just dont know if i can enjoy riding again

Old 12-21-2009, 06:16 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be more worried about the docs telling you to take RAT POISON.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flhrbill
I never considered riding with the protective jackets but it is something I will be looking into today. Gloves and long pants have always been worn, maybe I’ll start wearing the chaps but they do get hot
Lots of protective gear available that both looks good and keeps you cool in hot weather. For example fully armored perforated leather pants and jackets. Or even the textile armored mesh stuff. Might also want to consider wearing a full-face flip-up as even minor facial injuries can cause a lot of bleeding.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife is a open heart surgery survivor, and takes all kind of meds,, but she still rides. I need a knee replacement bad and am on pain killers and xanax, but I still go to Sturgis and everywhere else. Built up a tolerance after awhile. You guys are right, it's our life style, I would feel and be much worse not riding.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 PM
stamper5498
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 55 yrs old, I've had DVT in both of my legs from a heart cath I had done. I have mild to medium blockage and take various meds for that. that was 15 years ago. my doctor who is a friend I went to college with put me on coumadin because my blood was to thick. We tested seems like every week for a month or so and just could not get an acceptable level. So he tells me, Rick why don't you go by the store and pick up a couple of sixpacks of budlight, go home and before I go to bed take a full 325mg aspirin and drink a couple of buds. or if i prefer, drink a full glass of red wine and take the aspirin. i am also taking lexapro, and tricor for my cholestoral I do bloodwork every 3-4months and have had no issues.
My passion is riding, I cant think of anything I had rather be doing other than time with my wife. I have also had Guilliame barre' sydrone and lived to tell about it. Folks that don't have the passion or the fever some call it just don't understand us. Fortunately my friend/Doctor does. I am careful when I ride and try not to do anything stupid, but Hey!! its my ride, i will romp the throttle every now and then. What have I got to lose??
my .02
stamp