Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK Windshield vs. SG Bat Wing -- Visibility?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:12 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Put a bat wing on my Road King. There's a little difference, but you get used to it in just a few brief moments. You'll love it. Especially if you like tunes.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:36 PM
HogManII
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just curious, but....

Big Nick--- what brand of pipes are you running? How do you like them? Sound volume??

Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had both. No signifiant difference in visability.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i ride with two buddies who both ride rg's, and i've got an sg. gotta tell you, the sg is far better with wind control, and the other guys are totally right in that you'll not even be concerned as to what's happening right under the front tire, as you'll be enjoying the ride, along with the stereo etc. and yeah, i agree the stock sg windshields look cool on the showroom floor, but it's the first thing to put in a plastic bag and store on the shelf, cause they're useless. mine is an electraglide 9" and at 6'4" tall i'm able to look over it rather than through it, perfect. I wouldn't wanna go back to a roadking sort of fairing at all. love the batwing.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 PM
BigNick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HogManII
Big Nick--- what brand of pipes are you running? How do you like them? Sound volume??
HogManII... they are Porker pipes with baffles... they were on the bike when I bought it. Sound is really good, kind of deep, not "tin-like" at all. Can be real loud when you get on it, but will calm right down when cruising through a neighborhood. My brother-in-law has Vance and Hines Short Shots without baffles on his Fat Bob, and his pipes are significantly louder with a more raspy sound. My sister-in-law has Short Shots with the baffles in on her Nightster, and they seem to be more comparable in sound levels to my pipes, with mine sounding more along the lines of a stock car (hope that helps, it's the only way I can seem to explain it).

Old 05-19-2009, 10:33 PM
BigNick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the great responses guys... I'm not sure if I will be replacing my RK soon or not, but I will be taking a hard look at Street Glides. My budget would only allow a used purchase in the '06/'07 range. After riding my RK without a windshield for 2 years, I am just concerned about the bat wing. But truth be told, starting to get sick of the constant wind beating... and having tunes sure would be nice. Love the RK, just considering a change to get something a little newer and with fuel injection.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I actually go back and forth depending which bike I feel like riding in the morning. I just went on a ride with my SG this weekend going through ortega hwy and idywild tons of twistys. No difference.

But a real warning when riding especially in twistys you should not be looking close to the ground you should be looking forward. Target fixation.

The only comment I can say for sure I just don't care to ride without a batwing or wind sheild. It is that comfortable and habit forming.

Also I would go for a 07 because of the 6 speeds and 96 ci., tons of deals with real low miles.

Last edited by leicafish; 05-19-2009 at 11:39 PM.