Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIC...How I got started on these money pits!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:23 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PIC...How I got started on these money pits!

Back in 2003 the Warden & I had a discussion. I've always been a fan of round track racing and motorcycles. I decided it was time to get into something that I loved. My daughter was growing up & in high school, son had moved out...time for some "ME" stuff.

Our one-sided (my side) discussion was pretty blunt & to the point. I gave the Warden the option..."I'm getting a Harley or building a late model dirt race car." Well, she opted for the Harley as she already knew it'd cost at minimum, $600 a week to maintain/run a competitive race car.

Well, thinking that I couldn't afford a Harley outright, since I don't finance luxuries, I started buying parts to build a "bar hopper." This bike started out being a $10-12,000 dollar project. I ended up going over my budget, a little. LOL!

I only have the one pic to post as I've bought new computers since this build took place. All my other pics are on photo paper. It was completed in 2004.

This bike was on loan to the fab shop that built my tank. They were to enter it in the Steel Pony Express Bike Show in New Orleans. Sadly, several bikes, about 25, were stolen that year from several builders across the country. Even Dave Perewitz was jacked for a custom at that show. Needless to say, my bike was another that was stolen.

I had roughly $30,000 in this bike...had it insured for $40,000. Still sucked getting jacked, though. Only paid one 3 month premium before getting stolen. The adjuster said to me, "This is by far the largest check I've ever written for a motorcycle."

I took the insurance check and that got the ball rolling with Harley's.

Anyway, here's the pic. Doesn't remotely show the detail of the bike, but you get the idea.

Last edited by BadPiggy; 05-17-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Standard
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, rough story, but there are some bright spots tucked in there. Glad to hear you didnt let some ****** ruin your passion for motorcycles. I love the Warden reference. Good Stuff.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:28 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a clean and sharp custom build. They both are!

You're not kiddin' by calling them money pit's.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:39 PM
beracing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome bike Piggy! Sorry for the loss though. I must say you've continued your custom work for sure though! Good stuff...

Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 PM
bunkerbeer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well BadPiggy, you sure know how to build em...

Old 05-17-2009, 09:49 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A good lesson on why to over-insure your property.
It does suck that you lost your custom but hey you still got a KICK *** ride now.