Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp Power Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:42 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Amp Power Question

Just installed a Hogtune setup and was wondering if it would be better for the amp to hook the power signal wire which tells the amp to power up, to a switch so it would not have to be on any and all times the ignition is on. You would have to turn on the switch for the amp to power up but at least it would not have to be on all the time. Would a setup like this give the amp longer life? The way it is now the power signal wire is hooked to the cigarette lighter.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:01 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an amp with an after market radio in a detachable fairing so this may be a stupid question, but does the harley stereo have a remote hot wire that you can use? This way when the stereo is on so is your amp. I guess the real question is how often is your ignition on when you are not using the amp. I am thinking of hooking up a second amp and bought a fuse splitter to put in the accessory fuse slot so I could run the remote turn on for the amp via the accessory circuit.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:24 PM
3itodd
Tourer

for you'r remote wire ( the wire that tells you'r amp to turn on when the ignetion is on) hawg wired set up is wired to the cig lighter, it is only on when the ignetion is on

Old 05-16-2009, 11:35 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I used the wire off the cig lighter as well.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:03 AM
onthelo
Road Master

doesnt matter if the amp is on when the ign. is on thats how it works in the car when your radio is on your amp is on. It makes sense. Amps have a pretty good life as long as you are not heating the crap out of it should be fine. Sometimes if you have the amp hooked to a switch it will sometimes pop when you turn it on if the volume is higher just something to think about.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:13 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by onthelo
doesnt matter if the amp is on when the ign. is on thats how it works in the car when your radio is on your amp is on. It makes sense. Amps have a pretty good life as long as you are not heating the crap out of it should be fine. Sometimes if you have the amp hooked to a switch it will sometimes pop when you turn it on if the volume is higher just something to think about.
agreed

Old 05-17-2009, 07:31 AM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member

With the amp wired to the cigarette lighter the amp will power on every time the ignition is turned on and will stay on as long as the ignition is turned on regardless if the radio is on or not. Most after market radios have a signal wire that you hook to the amp that sends the signal to the amp to power up, that way the amp is only turned on when the radio has been turned on and the amp will turn off when the radio is turned off. HD's radio does not have a wire like this. Just seems to me even if amp's have long life unless you ride with your radio always on that your wasting some of the amp's life buy not actually being able to control the signal lead. I like my sounds but actually only have the radio on about half the time, just seems to be a waste for a amp to be powered up when it's not needed.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:15 AM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could hook it up to your acc switch on the inner fairing cap This way you can turn it on when you want.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:00 AM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member

That's what I was considering or maybe add an additional switch and run the power for the cigarette lighter through it.