Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does your tourer rate bone stock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:13 PM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the seat is the biggest change that I would make for me. That said I am still running the stock seat and it is comfortable enough but on longer runs like 300 to 400 miles it puts my butt to sleep. I had a Mustang on my metric and it was better. The only reason I have not changed it out is the way the pillion tilts back on the stock and I have not figured out if the new Mustang also tilts rearward. My wife likes it that way. personaly I think all bike makers cheap out on the seats.....12 billion on R & D for the bike and $12 bucks for the seat.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:16 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

My biggest gripe is due to the apparant EPA laws, so can't go there. The 103" stage II cured it for me.. The Ultra package is fine as is. Nothing to change 'cept price point is plenty high for the guy with kids, mortgage, car payments, bitchy wife who wants fancy living room and kitchen furnishings and appliances, demanding job, long commute, and that is the guy that needs a good ride on an Ultra once in a while to get away from it all. I would like to see everyone be able to afford a FLHTCU

Old 05-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,106 Likes on 3,650 Posts

I think for the amount of money we spend on the bikes we should first get a lot more power from the crate and it shouldn't cost much more to do at the factory...If Victory can do it so can MOCO. Seats defenitely suck...Air management should be better on Fairing type bikes....vents to let more air in...or to make more heat get to you in eithr cold or hot weather.....

Old 05-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Mtn
Advanced

When I bought my 08 SG, I rode it for three months with the stock windshield. I was 60% happy with the bike, but it just wasnt right. I changed out the shield for a Memphis Shade and poof 100%. It is The best $74.00 investment I have made on the SG. It would have been great to have a choice when I bought the bike on the sales room floor. The rest of the bike stock works great but chrome seems to be attracted to it some how.

Ride on

Old 05-15-2009, 01:44 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seat options would be nice and more paint choices. How about a bike you order it with all the upgrades and custom accessories you want. Exhaust, engine work, 103"110”, cams, sound systems,wheels and tires , chrome or black trim. This way you don't have to buy all the stock stuff that you are going take off and replace with upgraded stuff. I know HD likes to sell you the same stuff twice....

Old 05-15-2009, 02:08 PM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seat!

Old 05-15-2009, 02:09 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

stock 07

Old 05-15-2009, 02:12 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

it should be like buying a car. If you're in a rush you can pick one off the lot that you like. But you always have the option to order the one you want from the manufacturer. You sit down with the sales droid and choose the color and options you like and delete the ones you don't want. Then you get the exact car made to your specs. Why can't a motobike company do the same? Oh I know, then they can sell you the parts twice!

Old 05-15-2009, 02:22 PM
rc9636
Cruiser

Naturally the stage 1 upgrade, but the EPA rules that out. Next would be a choice of windshiled height and grips. I've no issues with the seat but would like to see the module that converts the directionals into running & brake lights as standard equipment.
Also upgrade the shift linkage from the cheap *** snap on type which always fails sooner or later. Other than that I'm happy with by bike....LOL!

Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Lightngsvt2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree more like buying a car with separate options. I think seats, windshield and wheels would be my first choices. Also the option of different rides heights would nice for the tall or short rider, I believe BMW does this on many of their bikes.

Something to consider, I dont think HD wants to step on their aftermarket business of the aftermarket in general. So I dont think we will ever see to many options. But being able to order a bike the way you want (within reason) just makes sense to the rider, the dealer (dont have to have a lot of excess inventory on hand) and the MoCo.

Last edited by Lightngsvt2; 05-15-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: How does your tourer rate bone stock?