Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 RKC and 4 pint docking. CAUTION!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 RKC and 4 pint docking. CAUTION!!!

I installed 4 point docking hardware on my bike. It is a 2009 rkc. this is and advice to all riders who has same bike: be carefull when you open your leather bags, theres one screw on the 4 point docking hardware that scratshes the leather everytime you open the bag. the leather on my bags is starting to peel because of this screw and bike has only 6 moths.

It is a shame HD cant do something right!

just be carefull when you open the lid

Old 05-15-2009, 10:56 AM
bobernet
Tourer

That's why they give you that clear piece of adhesive-backed film to cover the bolt head, and the directions that tell you to be careful opening your bag, and the diagram that depicts where the bag will contact the bolt head.

Yeah, those H-D folks sure are dumb thinking people would read the instructions.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:00 AM
bob46371
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2009 FLHRC Vivid Black

+1 After I saw the first dents in the leather from the screw heads... I bought the caps to protect the bags when the sissy bar and rack are off . Good advice open them carefully........

Old 05-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Solitario
Tourer

Bobernet: the adhesive last on the bike like a month and because it is clear you dont realice that you lost it (maybe riding) until you peel the bag once. including a sticker in order to solve desing problem its stupid. I will try to find a flat head screw that fits.

Bob46371 the screw that scratches the bag is not one of the four points screws, it is the one in the middle that holds the 4 points docking hardware to the bike so the magnetic covers wont help with this issue

Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 AM
bobernet
Tourer

Provided you don't intend to take the mounting hardware on/off regularly, a little bondo and clear nail polish should work. It would still be relatively simple to chip out if you needed to remove the bolt.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Solitario
Tourer

what I did is put a piece of transparent rubber with a little of superglue in the screw (just a little). It works quiet well but the damage is done. No matter instructions provided, the sticker dosent work . As I said HD should test their products a little bit before selling them, sometimes they remind me Microsoft corp and windows vista someway...

this makes me think about the visor trim ring crap and the instructions lol

As I said, DONT TRUST THE STICKER

Old 05-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buddy of mine had the same problem on his 09...Once his tour pak came in and it was installed it was no longer an issue unless he takes the tour pak off, but the only time he takes it off is during a wash and wax. Clearly a poor design by the R&D folks at HD!

Last edited by Road Ranger; 05-15-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:58 PM
MrWrestlingII
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shimmed the rear bag latch bracket out on each side with a couple of washers.

No rubbing.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New parts

This year the MOCO came out with some chrome magnetic caps that go on over the mounts. Try some of those.

CN

Old 05-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Solitario
Tourer

it is not the mount, it is one of the screws that holds the hardware to the rear fender.

3 screws on each side holds the 4 point docking hardware to the rear fender, well, it is the first screw (the closest to the seat) the one that scratches the lid of the bag if you full open it. the problems is not with the docking points so you dont need to buy the chrome magnetic covers if you dont want to.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

see the picture on that link and it is the first screw from the right on the bottom

Quick Reply: 2009 RKC and 4 pint docking. CAUTION!!!