Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 RKC and 4 pint docking. CAUTION!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:51 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solitario
I installed 4 point docking hardware on my bike. It is a 2009 rkc. this is and advice to all riders who has same bike: be carefull when you open your leather bags, theres one screw on the 4 point docking hardware that scratshes the leather everytime you open the bag. the leather on my bags is starting to peel because of this screw and bike has only 6 moths.

It is a shame HD cant do something right!

just be carefull when you open the lid
They sell a kit to specifically stop this from happening. It limits how far the lid can open as well as including two wider bushings for the back of the saddlebags.

I bought the kit when I bought my 4-point docking harness. Because I also bought the cover kit for the docking harness, I just used the bushings and didn't use the stops.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:56 PM
bob46371
Cruiser

it is not the mount, it is one of the screws that holds the hardware to the rear fender.

3 screws on each side holds the 4 point docking hardware to the rear fender, well, it is the first screw (the closest to the seat) the one that scratches the lid of the bag if you full open it. the problems is not with the docking points so you dont need to buy the chrome magnetic covers if you dont want to.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

see the picture on that link and it is the first screw from the right on the bottom
There must be multiple alignment or fit issues .On mine, With the backrest off, when opened the saddlebag lid made contact with the screw head on the front docking **** It is not being scratched by the other screw.
The protective caps cured the problem

Old 05-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Volfan615
Tourer

I must be missing something. I read that in the instructions but I can't find anything on my 09 FLHX that makes contact with the screws.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ftaner "They sell a kit to specifically stop this from happening. It limits how far the lid can open as well as including two wider bushings for the back of the saddlebags."

have you got the product number? I didnt see that kit

Thank you

Old 05-15-2009, 03:44 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Volfan615
I must be missing something. I read that in the instructions but I can't find anything on my 09 FLHX that makes contact with the screws.
Cause you have hard bags, the RKC has leather ...........

Old 05-15-2009, 04:10 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

it is not the mount, it is one of the screws that holds the hardware to the rear fender.

3 screws on each side holds the 4 point docking hardware to the rear fender, well, it is the first screw (the closest to the seat) the one that scratches the lid of the bag if you full open it. the problems is not with the docking points so you dont need to buy the chrome magnetic covers if you dont want to.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

see the picture on that link and it is the first screw from the right on the bottom
deleted.

Last edited by BlackFLHR; 05-15-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:17 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Volfan615

I installed the Kit on my bike last night at midnight but did not put the bags back on yet cause I want to clean them today after work. I cant tell from the little diagram provided where in the heck the piece of 3m tape is supposed to go.

I am glad yours are hitting on the SG. Anybody else get the same results?

Old 05-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Volfan615
Tourer

Originally Posted by hog95023
I installed the Kit on my bike last night at midnight but did not put the bags back on yet cause I want to clean them today after work. I cant tell from the little diagram provided where in the heck the piece of 3m tape is supposed to go.

I am glad yours are hitting on the SG. Anybody else get the same results?

From the post above it appears that maybe this only applies to the RKC but I didn't read that in the instructions.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:25 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

the picture of the bag in the diagram looked a lot like our bags, form wise. It said to put it on the back of the metal latch bracket but I cant see how that would help anything since it doesn't move

Old 05-15-2009, 04:49 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Ftaner "They sell a kit to specifically stop this from happening. It limits how far the lid can open as well as including two wider bushings for the back of the saddlebags."

have you got the product number? I didnt see that kit

Thank you
I can get that part number for you when I get home. I have it in my folder of documents on my modifications to the bike. It is a new part and not listed in the catalog yet.

Quick Reply: 2009 RKC and 4 pint docking. CAUTION!!!