Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yesterdays announcement from the MOCO

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
madmatt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure why production is down. In the lil country I'm at in Asia, where even CVOs with prices in excess of 40 to 50k are being snapped up before they touch the showroom floor. Lucky for me, they don't get the road glide from the moco or I would have parted with my current 05' FLHRSI.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:34 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure exactly what you were trying to say, but I think you said the American public is greedy and shortsighted.

As the shareholders of most public companies they created pressure for their management to take short term views of most everything, which hasn't worked as well as we would like.

So HD missed some of the red flags...they certainly weren't alone.

Many Harley owners use their bikes almost solely for recreation, yet they still financed them Often based on overtime or bonus pay Kinda dumb with hindsight, but why wait untill you can pay for it

Oh well, maybe they will make a new water cooled touring model soon

All in all HD has done a better job than many other large US companies...say GM, Chrysler, Sears, AIG, Washington Mutual, Enron...........

Old 05-14-2009, 10:39 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by uniondog
Seem to me the crooks as you call them are from wall street - check the news -
In union work places the job is rated - not the individual - 8 hours pay at an agreed upon rate for 8 hours of labor at an agreed upon level - It does not take in to account how much the boss likes or dis-like an employee - the appearance of the employee - if they are friendly enough (especially in the case of females in the work place) it make the work place fair for everyone

Oh and you must produce - Those who think labor Union Workers don't are living in the stone ages - were not loosing our jobs to workers in the US - Were loosing our job to over seas where THE PEOPLE WHO ARE THE REAL CROOKS are sending it to fill their pockets - Non-Union workers in the US are loosing their jobs to the same off shore locations.

The Automakers are not the only large corporations with labor unions - GE - has Union and Non-Union locations both are being beat by Countries that allow their citizen and land to be exploited by Large US Corporations - Our job are not going to Germany, England, France, Italy - Their going to Vietnam - China - They don't give a damm about how their people are treated and the US Corporation that move their are more than happy to "Operate with in the laws of the Nation they are doing business in"

There are clear differences of opinions between Americans concerning Union and Non-Union work places and it is fuled by those who want to keep our eyes off the real issue that confronts all workers in the United States of America.
There is a war between all American Workers and the Corporations and Government Policy that promote and expedite the exporting our jobs - technology and futures. This is nothing new. It has been going on for many years, but it is really hitting home now. The United States and its lack of a solid manufacturing base has become a paper tiger when confronted with economic times such as we have now - We are almost at the point that our only export is our Jobs - That has to change.

Folks, if you need a job to support yourself and your family you need to help stop this out flow of work - if not just keep on pointing fingers and blaming the other guy and don't worry about the next job that not done in the US anymore - After all its not affecting you ...YET

Respectfully
UD
You Hit the nail right on the head. THANK YOU

Old 05-14-2009, 11:40 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys need to get out and ride more.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:29 PM
kman780
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carlo
In your Construction Business. Who works for you when you need a guy for one or two days a week to clean up paint a little. Mix some mud do a little black top? Now tell the truth.
Before the computer business it was me, since them I actually have a buddy that is out of work. I do a lot of custom cabinets, so I meet clients at night and have my buddy do the cut an assembly in the shop.

if you asking to I use some $100/day plus lunch guys.... Of course, but lately I have had a few laid off union carpenters working for me here and there.

In the summer I have a shop teacher run it. Like I said before the computers... I busted my *** to build that up. worked 7 days for months straight, etc... Now we can afford to coast a little.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:54 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IBHarley
what will they think of next maybe stop making replacement parts to force you to buy a newer moder just like the Metric bikes ,they are good for the first 5 years then the parts start drying up by 10 years you cant get anything for that bike
Aftermarket has you covered cradle to grave. S&S engines, Baker drivetrains, etc, etc. I think S&S even makes NEW Shovelhead engines. Dont' fear the Reaper.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by malmax
seeing things up close while working at a dealership, business is only as good as the product, people and placement. Harley has taken steps to improve product, based on your dealership...most people who work for Harley dealerships are genuine (some exceptions apply), and as long as the majority placement of manufacturing is American based, we can see a brighter future than most other vehicle manufacturers. Lesson learned...Honda, Toyota, Subaru spent 20 years building plants in the USA...GM, Chrysler, and Ford spent 20 years building plants over seas...check consumer digest on the best built cars...they are Honda, Toyota and Subaru...most of them built in the USA, by American workers....the big 3 have problems with over seas production...

Keep it in America!!!
This man speaks the truth.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:57 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
100th Anniversary in 2001 ?.
T

My bad I meant 2003 I have a 2001. (I work 3rd shift didn't sleep well)

Old 05-14-2009, 02:04 PM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
T

My bad I meant 2003 I have a 2001. (I work 3rd shift didn't sleep well)
LOL !. You're excused...Now, Go and hit the sack.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 PM
RG NewB
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth, I just bought an 09 Road glide, see the pic. Any hoo. I heard the same story here in the northeast, "best month ever!" I did however also find a dealer looking to sell motorcycles and one that didn't. The one that did is Barbs Harley Davidson in NJ. Gave me a fantastic deal, great trade price and add on discount. The other will remain un-named but lets say they thought people were simply ready to lay out money. Not this guy, I didn't have to buy.

Quick Reply: Yesterdays announcement from the MOCO