Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yesterdays announcement from the MOCO

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:56 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
Yeah. I was in a union for 8 years and I don't have a thing to show for it. There were guys in the union that sounded like you. Brain washed. I quit and did better in a non union job.

I don't think you can convince anyone that someone deserves $75 an hour for a semi-skilled job anyone could do. I'm talking about the auto workers and all the benefits they get. Those aren't real world wages for unskilled labor.

And the union politics are the worst. You can keep it.
I didn't get 75 a hour the union at Harley ain't getting 75 a hour and there skilled. I had a skill I had hundereds if not thousands of peoples lives in my hands. When I handled passenger cars full of people and tank cars full of Hazardous materal. For my 35 years Days Nights Weekends Holidays. Cold, Rain, Snow ,Heat, Working around Oil Grease PCP's Asbestos Lead Creosol Pesticides and the Unknown I got paid for what I did. Fed and housed my family Put my Daughters through school. Missed a lot of Holidays when my kids were small cause I was low man on the totem pole. My body took its toll Eye problems ,arthritis. bad back, sholders, all from working out in the cold. I woulden't have it any other way no regreats. My Union was there when I needed them and I was there for my Union. Thank GOD for my UNION brothers and Sisters. The Union ain't hurting Harley They made money with the Union.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about southern states being "non-union" but if Harley wants to build in South Alabama, I'll help out with the first shovel of dirt. We need some jobs down here that don't involve pines or chickens. Plenty of land available in Barbour County; come one, come all!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:07 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain

Harley will do just like everyone else, they will produce parts offshore and then assemble in the US. The only thing that stands in their way of success after that happens is the pressures of being a public company and greedy Unions. I have said it before and I will say it again, Unions today are obsolete, and even worse, they have become able to bully companies into paying unrealistic salaries and benefits contract after contract by having shear numbers strike and crippling production. That is not the way to ensure long term success for the worker or the company.

Paying a premium to a union worker that do the same job as I do with the same bills and family needs I have is crap. Sorry, saying that you have needs is no excuse for the unrealistic salaries and benefits of today. It is not justifiable and it has cost us all dearly in this financial crisis.

It time for everyone to reflect and get back to basics. I would rather have a job for life at $25.00 an hour than a $35.00 an hour job for a limited amount of time.

The moral of the story is "sooner or later someone has to pay". This crisis is not a cycle, it is the result of greed within the Unions and the financial sectors. The government let this happen knowing the results because greed runs deep within all of us...

Last edited by ThePointman; 05-13-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:22 PM
valleybuck
Tourer

When I bought my first Harley it was from a small dealer that very seldom had any bikes on the floor for sale.You had to order one and wait for it to come in, somtimes as much as a year.The store was small but they seemed to always have the things you wanted.Then they moved into a big mega store with lots of Harleys for sale I know the owner had to pay big bucks for this.Lots of businesses did this and are now having a hard time.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 PM
ElectraLarry
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

When I went shopping for my used bike last fall I had two choices: 20 year old smaller dealership with fewer bikes to choose from - or the new, big, shiny dealership 10 miles up the road. The newer dealer had more bikes but after making an offer on a Road King he gave me the list of fees he would have to add to the price. $500 inspection fee??? WTF is this? I walked. Not to mention the $30 t-shirts. I'm not going to go anywhere near a dealer that just looks at you like a checkbook with legs. Needless to say I shop at the smaller dealer now and they actually appreciate my business. They send me a 20% off coupon every month and I'm always there spending money. Sometimes I'll even buy a $24 t-shirt!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts
Default New company is delivering Harleys to the stores

Originally Posted by hdblk2003
alot of people where shorting h-d shares for most of this and for the first 2 months of 09.....the current but outgoing ceo Mr Zeimer started on the factory floor.....I was talking to the owner of the first mega dealers here in chi-town yesterday.He said the mo-co is using an another copany to deliver new bikes..He said most cant speak engilsh or get lost,,,,
That is correct. The MOCO has mothballed their fleet of delivery trucks and is now contracting that part of the business out to hired delivery companys. I think I read where Allied Van Lines has a Specialty Delivery Division and they are delivering to some locations. Can you all say DOWNSIZING?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts
Default What does Al Gore have to do with anything?

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
What does Al Gore have to do with anything? He's just a scam artist with a podium.

I wouldn't say moving the plant to a non union state would be a temporary fix. In fact I would say it would be the perfect solution to get out from under the legacy union costs for the same reason GM and Chrysler needs to.
Don't you remember? Al Gore once made the claim that he invented the internet.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:03 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Retrop
Don't you remember? Al Gore once made the claim that he invented the internet.
Yes. I see. You meant it as a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing.

The only thing he invented was global warming and that was a farce.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Bad Pig
Road Master

one word.....HarleyMart

Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by IBHarley
what will they think of next maybe stop making replacement parts to force you to buy a newer moder just like the Metric bikes ,they are good for the first 5 years then the parts start drying up by 10 years you cant get anything for that bike
Gotta love the aftermarket companies. They will keep this from ever happening. You can still buy Panhead motors brand new.

Quick Reply: Yesterdays announcement from the MOCO