Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yesterdays announcement from the MOCO

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget HD aquired MV Agusta a year back I think...

Old 05-13-2009, 06:37 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look before I buy accessories. They still make a surprising number of them here in the USA. If you buy a Honda you will not get made in USA anything, just a few are assembled here to save on taxes.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

What does Al Gore have to do with anything? He's just a scam artist with a podium.

I wouldn't say moving the plant to a non union state would be a temporary fix. In fact I would say it would be the perfect solution to get out from under the legacy union costs for the same reason GM and Chrysler needs to.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 PM
hdblk2003
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they moved assembly overseas where would engines ans trans come from.They would have to close tomahawk ans capitol drives plants.Like I said they longer have conpany drivers delivering new bikes.They r in the process of having a 3rd party company run the parts and distribution center and the are closing the wauwatosa engine plant and moving all engine,trans and touring frame production into capitol drive plant.Think about the money they have been paying on tolls in the states of Ill,Ind,Oh, and Pa to ship parts from wisc to York..They either move all assembly to wisc or to Kansas City....

Old 05-13-2009, 07:01 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,678 Likes on 11,509 Posts

Was into the dealership today, where I bought my bike a year ago.
Talked with the salesmanager about business this season.....he told me
that he had his 'best month ever' last month !!!!!!!

They are having an open house this coming Saturday with discounts
galore.....Seeing as I'll be out of town / out of state then, they threw the discount my way today.... 3 days early.
Not a lot of $$$$, but the simple fact that they appreciate my business
and know because of that I'll be going back and buying more accessories.

Central Maine HD treats me right and will keep me as a customer

Old 05-13-2009, 07:04 PM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer

When Harley started to force dealers to build McDonald land stores....that was the beginning of the end. My former dealer had a small hole in the wall shop...life was good, overhead was low. Some rocket scientist came up with the idea of these boutique shops....they told T he had to paly by their rules. He had to get out of his location. Into a larger building or build a larger building. HD had to approve the lot. HD was going to sell him the blueprints for 10k and he had to build it to thier specs. T said...have a nice day...sold the business and walked away. That was around y2k. Fast forward....new shop owners playin' by the rules....moved on to main thoroughfare in town. Nice shop. BIG, nice shop. Currently advertising that they have over 200 bikes in the shop..available for immediate purchase. I am certain that they do. Problem is....they ain't moving so fast. they must have one hell of an overhead to maintain that kinda stock. Gotta be eating their lunch. Two Sundays ago, I drive by. The Garage door is open. I stop in and ask about a rear tire. Got it in stock. I ask, when can they get to it? How about right now? At 3:30 on a Sunday. I said do it. No big break on price, but the tire was swapped out in less than 40 minutes. Times have definitely changed. To all the dealers who had to buy into HD's game plan...I feel your pain. I sure do miss the hole in the wall shop. Did not have a dirt floor....who says bigger is better??? If GM and Chrysler are going to axe 3000 dealerships nationwide.....how many HD shops are going to go **** up? Stay tuned.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 PM
timjab
Intermediate

op was the best post ive read in a while

Old 05-13-2009, 07:54 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
What does Al Gore have to do with anything? He's just a scam artist with a podium.

I wouldn't say moving the plant to a non union state would be a temporary fix. In fact I would say it would be the perfect solution to get out from under the legacy union costs for the same reason GM and Chrysler needs to.
Then we can have some day worker from another country put the bike togeather for 7-8 bucks a hour You go pay for his Medical Ins. What the F you know about Unions. Most anti union talkers got fired from union jobs or were kicked out for ratting and kissing AZZ. Wanted the old guys job with 25years on the job when they had less then a years time Coulden't kiss azz for the old guys job account Senority. 35 years Union retired Railroad Conductor. The railroad wanted to hire part timers no benefits. Union my union my membership told em nice go pound salt. Im ranting sorry but ignorant non union talk pissies me off. I worked Union and non Union before the Railroad been there done it I'll take the Union. Union ain't hurting Harley. All the non Union white collar dudes from the Brokerage houses,Banks,AIG ins companys, that got laid off and lost there bonuses. That ain't buying the HD bikes clothes and other **** the MC sells. and the others that didn't pay there loans. Thats what hurting the MC. Harley made money with the Union and Still will.

Last edited by carlo; 05-13-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 PM
bunkerbeer
Road Master

I for one, don't think HD people are greedy. I do however feel, that the whole concept of free market is being used by our financial enemy's (china, Taiwan, japan, the EU, etc) against us! by being so free and liberal market for the whole world to eat drink p@#s and S%^t in, we have exposed our self to chip competition that gives us chip products at chip built and quality! and all that when the same country's limit the amount of AMERICAN MADE in there markets!!!
As a small business owner, I choose to make less but have my product made in the USA. Lets all rally for the cause, no more buying made else were! America should go back to buying made in the USA, this is the only way to save our country's economy in the long run...
And yes I lead by example, my MB just got traded for a GMC, and I'm in the process of cleaning house to replace all with made in AMERICA.

Good luck to all
Bunkerbeer.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by carlo
Then we can have some day worker from another country put the bike togeather for 7-8 bucks a hour You go pay for his Medical Ins. What the F you know about Unions. Most anti union talkers got fired from union jobs or were kicked out for ratting and kissing AZZ. Wanted the old guys job with 25years on the job when they had less then a years time Coulden't kiss azz for the old guys job account Senority. 35 years Union retired Railroad Conductor. The railroad wanted to hire part timers no benefits. Union my union my membership told em nice go pound salt. Im ranting sorry but ignorant non union talk pissies me off. I worked Union and non Union before the Railroad been there done it I'll take the Union. Union ain't hurting Harley. All the non Union white collar dudes from the Brokerage houses,Banks,AIG ins companys, that got laid off and lost there bonuses. That ain't buying the HD bikes clothes and other **** the MC sells. and the others that didn't pay there loans. Thats what hurting the MC. Harley made money with the Union and Still will.
Yeah. I was in a union for 8 years and I don't have a thing to show for it. There were guys in the union that sounded like you. Brain washed. I quit and did better in a non union job.

I don't think you can convince anyone that someone deserves $75 an hour for a semi-skilled job anyone could do. I'm talking about the auto workers and all the benefits they get. Those aren't real world wages for unskilled labor.

And the union politics are the worst. You can keep it.

Quick Reply: Yesterdays announcement from the MOCO