Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei Multitec vs Shark Flip up

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:26 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Shoei Multitec vs Shark Flip up

Anyone try the Shark flip up helmets? Thinking of going from the Shoei Syncrotec to the Multitec or the Shark. The Shoei has been sweet, but the shark has a built in sunvisor and the chin bar flips over the helmet so you can ride around with it in ff or 1/2 helmet style, with or without a visor.
I heard from a friend who is in a local PD, and they are testing them out for regular issue. Anyone have any feedback on a comparison of the two helmets?
Ride safe.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't give you a comparison, but there was a thread on this topic a while back.

I have the Shark Evoline, I am happy with it...

I never set out to buy this helmet, but as I wear spec's I was keen to get a "flip up" helmet. Went to a bike show and tried on just about everything going. Why did I choose Shark (which I hadn't intended to as stated above)

The feature of riding with it in "3/4" mode is great, and I can say that 6 months in I am not at all disappointed with this. You can change it while riding at speed, no problem.

The integrated sun visor - great feature - but I don't think it was implemented well enough by Shark. For me the sun visor needs to drop down another half inch or so. I find the base of the sun visor sits just at the bottom of my line of vision, so I have to tilt me head down slightly. Still, better than nothing...

I found the HD sound system integrated well with it. The gap between the chin guard and mouth is sufficient to fit the foam covered mike.

All in all, happy.

I am a bit suspicious of the locking mechanism for the flip up, but all seems fine at the moment. I will be more sure after another 6 months use - it just feels a bit flaky to me.

I had a problem with the strap coming undone whilst I was riding - scared the hell out of me. Riding for an hour only to discover the strap wasn't done up. The problem was that, together with the quick release clip there was a little black lever that made it even easier to release, even though it is dead simple and pefectly workable without the lever, so I broke this off. Helmet has been fine since!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:11 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 853 Likes on 643 Posts

I went to CYCLE GEAR store to see and try on the shark evoline.
I thought it was a cool idea/concept.
I tried it out and walk around store for about 5 minutes.
The shell seemed rather large and the helmet a bit bulky.
Did not like how it looked "open" but helmet was silver..maybe a black one would look nicer.
Would need to try it again..the sun visor did not seem like it would be effective for me..edge was in my line of sight.
I did like the fit and finish of the multitec...seemed like a quality helmet.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

anyone else?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:32 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I bought my MultiTec, I tried on the Shark, wore it around the store for about 15 minutes and knew that the helmet just didn't fit my head well and I did not care for the visor. The position of it when down was annoying to 'my' eyes.

I tried on the MultiTec and wore it around the store for 45 minutes before I was convinced that the MultiTec was my next 'modular full-face' helmet.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for the info guys, I am going to do the same this w/e. Going to try both on first. I love my syncrotech, but they dont make them anymore, the multitechs are lighter, and have a groove in the pad for glasses which should be a great relief for me. On the syncrotec if I wear a head cover under my helmet, pretty soon I get my ears pressed into the glasses, and depending how thick the wrap is I will start to get a headache too.
The concept of having a built in sunvisor sounds good especially if its dark when you ride, you dont have to worry about changing the shield or stopping to change glasses, not to mention it would be nice if you could ride with the bar up in the heat, doing this on a flip up at 40 mph it feels like your head is tied to a tree.
My head is the shape that fits a Shoei better than an Arai, Nolan because those are for more of a round head.
Thanks again for your replies. Bagman

Old 05-13-2009, 08:10 AM
homehandyman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I looked at the shark it did not seem to provide an area to place speakers and a mic. I would be interested to see or hear how they were installed.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Thats interesting because Im told some PD's are trying them out and would have thought they could accommodate them. On their websight they show a led light that is wired in the helmet to act as a flashlight when you flip the shield. Not that it would do me anygood.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by homehandyman
When I looked at the shark it did not seem to provide an area to place speakers and a mic. I would be interested to see or hear how they were installed.
In principle your observation is correct, but I fitted the standard HD set in and I am very happy with the fit.

I had to:

Cut the speaker wires about a couple of inches from the speaker and resolder once they are installed inside the helmet. This was a pain, why HD con't have small connectors on the speaker I have no idea, all the other systems I have used in the past do have this. If you don't do this it is impossible to get a neat, hidden wire run

I had to trim some of the plastic beading where the lead connector is fixed to the side of the helmet to get it to sit nice, snug and tight

Where the speakers mount inside the helmet, I cut all the foam lining out the helmet. There is a triangular seamed area where this is so this is perfectly safe and easy to do.

Sounds like a mission and a lot to do but actually it was quite straightforward once I had figured it, and now getting helmet on and off is easy, and the mic sits nicely in the helmet