Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More problems at York, Pa. plant

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:01 AM
swomack
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're probably like GM and Chrysler. They would rather run the place in the ground than deal with what they know is the problem. One of these days these people are going to have to wake up and face reality. You can't keep raising prices and cutting corners and expect people to keep buying your product. Especially when you have a legion of a$$holes around the country talking down to people who paid their "hard earned" money for your product that "they all do that" and that H-D won't do anything about it.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I'm a little confused. Harley's have to be about the most expensive motorcycles built anywhere, but we buy them. The cost of the bikes certainly doesn't reflect a cutting edge design or use of exotic materials, so where does all the money go? I am not trying to be controversial here, but something doesn't add up. I can appreciate the fact that sales are down by 37%, due to the ailing economy, but plant closures, layoffs on a massive scale and other reports of doom and gloom just don't seem to make sense to me.

I'm not an idiot but I know I am not explaining myself very well here. If HD has the ability to buy MV Agusta, but the inability to maintain it's core business, something is terribly wrong. Does anyone know where the massive cost of a Harley comes from? Is it materials? Is it assembly labor? Is it factory overhead? Is it R&D? What is it??

With the possible exception of the Sportster line, any Harley is about the same price as a decent car these days, not an iconic car perhaps, but a car all the same. If HD can't ride a 37% drop in sales, they need to look at lowering their prices. If they cannot afford to lower their prices, they either have an incredibly inefficient business or someone somewhere is just plain greedy.

Being the cycnic that I am, I can't help but wonder if all the reports of doom and gloom aren't just the build up to a request for tax dollars. Hell, Obama would jump at the chance of nationalizing HD.

(Flame suit on)

Old 05-12-2009, 10:37 AM
kupitz
Cruiser

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I know I'm going to catch a TON of crap for this one but here goes...

Union Built = More Expensive Labor.

I work in the Food Packaging Industry and your cereal plant workers are making 6 figures a year to push a few buttons and sit on their **** for their shift. If a fuse blows they call tech support and pay thousands to fly a guy in from the vendor to replace it. That's no exaggeration, and last I heard the salaries was 1996! Imagine what they're making now?!?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:53 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kupitz
i know i'm going to catch a ton of crap for this one but here goes...

Union built = more expensive labor.

I work in the food packaging industry and your cereal plant workers are making 6 figures a year to push a few buttons and sit on their **** for their shift. If a fuse blows they call tech support and pay thousands to fly a guy in from the vendor to replace it. That's no exaggeration, and last i heard the salaries was 1996! Imagine what they're making now?!?
bingo!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The work has been out for years about closing York. Last time I heard the rumors they wanted to move everything to milwaukee to save on labor and shipping.

Last edited by vtwinbmx; 05-12-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

if harley forgets the lessons of the past (AMF), then I hate to say this but they deserve to go under. the only thing that kept harley alive during those years was the cult status they enjoyed right here in the good ole US of A. Send everything overseas and they might as well start building Italian scooters.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:03 AM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zimbob
If HD goes off shore, I'll go Triumph.
Aren't Triumphs made in India?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:03 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The new Indian Chief looks sweet!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:11 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I plan on keeping my 08 forever barring unforseen events, so where ever they go, you can bet they have a plan. they are the best advertising company in the world, and they are not going down. America is not going down the toliet either. We have survived much worse and will do so again.
All Americans stand up and be counted! Sorry about the rant, but I believe or I would not have served my country for my entire adult life.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BadX
Also and right now it's don't mean a lot but Obama is wanting to tax the companies that import more but I am sure someone will get paid off and that will never pass...
Chrysler is closing their engine plant in Kenosha and opening an engine plant in Mexico to replace it PLUS we are giving them billions of $ and not questioning this at all.

Quick Reply: More problems at York, Pa. plant