Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More problems at York, Pa. plant

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:34 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mphamrick
This is why our country is slowly going down the toilet..............
Slowly?

Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

I haven't kept up with it good but from what I understand the companies that moved their manufacturing overseas (China mainly) have actually shut down a lot of these facilities because of the economy. I saw I report on sixty minutes about it I think around a month or so ago. The company’s owed employees back wages and they were trying to skip out on them or only pay half or less of what they owed them. Also and right now it's don't mean a lot but Obama is wanting to tax the companies that import more but I am sure someone will get paid off and that will never pass...just look at gas prices, the economy starts to show a little hope and gas goes up .50 a gal in two weeks...go figure. I filled my truck up with gas for $1.77 a gal April 27th and this morning it was $2.26 a gal. I guess they have run out of that record profit they made the first three quarters of last year giving bonuses.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Harley bought one of the Italian Motorcycle companies. I think it was MV Agusa(?). What do you think that is all about? I am sure it was for more than because they like Italian food.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ref. the Italian company. It's my understanding they only have scooters. By buying into this market it gave Harley an openning to make it easier to bring the Harley line into Italy and surrounding countries.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Pork-Chop
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyclonecutting
I think you will see the manufacturing move into the southern states before it goes out of the borders. The southern states have plenty of cheaper open area to expand into, the weather is easier and cheaper to deal with, and they are all right-to-work states. They would likely make the move to get out of the Unions control and cut seasonal expenses.

Before I get flamed, I am only stating this because that is one of reasons the new Toyota plant was not built up north.
+1 on this one

Old 05-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Pork-Chop
Road Master

Originally Posted by bksmoky
Ref. the Italian company. It's my understanding they only have scooters. By buying into this market it gave Harley an openning to make it easier to bring the Harley line into Italy and surrounding countries.
MV Agusta actually makes really high end sports bikes.

http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagu...s_current.html

http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagu...F4_1078RR.html

Last edited by Pork-Chop; 05-12-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

MV Agusta's are really nice high end sport bikes. And I would be willing to bet that they will soon be making Harley's too.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Pork-Chop
Road Master

Originally Posted by Curlybill
MV Agusta's are really nice high end sport bikes. And I would be willing to bet that they will soon be making Harley's too.
that can only be a GOOD thing!!

those bikes are top notch

Old 05-12-2009, 09:32 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

IF, and it's a big if in my mind at the moment, H-D starts building their bikes outside the US, my next motorcycle will be a BMW tourer.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:34 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Just yesterday, May 11, 2009 Harley admitted that further cuts down the road may be necessary at their York plant. In fact the company admitted that the York plant may have to be shut down. Last month the company announced a downturn in sales of 37%.

"As it stands York is not competitive long term ... due to cost pressures," company representative Bob Klein said. In addition, "major changes will be needed," he said. Part of the evaluation process will include looking at other locations in the United States Klein said.

I don't know about anyone else but when I hear talk like this I immediately see production being moved offshore. We already know most of the clothing Harley sells is foreign made, an awful lot of the Harley parts come from offshore locations, so it just comes as nautural progression that assembly will be moved offshore.

Couple all that with the fact that there is new management at the MOCO (CEO and CFO and others) and you have the perfect scenario for offshore assembly of the Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Anybody want to take bets as to when the New Harleys will start coming in from Mexico, China or Taiwan?
I'll take that bet. There is no way Harley's going to move anything offshore. It would be marketing suicide. And as we all know Harley's got the best marketing people in the World. As the one guy said, I could see them moving South to cut expenses, but there's no way in hell they're moving offshore.

Quick Reply: More problems at York, Pa. plant