Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Austin, Tx Area

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:52 AM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Austin, Tx Area

Might not be the right 'place' for this question.

GF and I are wanting to make some weekend rides out near the Marble Falls area, etc. Dont want alot of 'hard twistin' roads....we're not into 'board scrapers'.....just wanna cruise and see some pretty countryside. It's almost 200 mi from where we live to Austin (via 290)....so leavin on Friday aft....1st leg of the trip would end up at a motel near there. I say Austin...but New Braunfels, San Marcos, Round Rock.....We're looking to start a Saturday ride from there.

Anyone in and around that area have any suggestions? Local lodging? Resturants? Hangouts?

Appreciate your thoughts....

Billy G

Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No help here, but my neighbor and I will be runnin into Austin the second week in August, can't wait.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to Austin in mid June for ROT Rally, first time to Austin so I'm looking forward to the trip. The Rally is supposed to be a good one !!!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:37 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cooper's BBQ in Llano is a long time favorite. I always take 1431 (lots of curves, but not too bad) to Marble Falls, then turn north on 281. A few miles up the road, take a left onto Park Road 4. This is an absolutely stunning road that leads you into Inks Lake, and some beautiful pink granite covered landscape that makes you think a dinosaur will pop up at any time. Once you get to 29, take a left and go into Llano. Cooper's is straight at the light, and a favorite place to meet for bikers from all around.

You can also go southwest into Dripping Springs, Wimberly, San Marcos, the choices are endless. Almost any road is a great one. Luckenbach is also a favorite destination, and there's always a ton of bikes out there. You can stop and have a refreshment while you listen to some live music, then get a t-shirt to prove you were there.

Here's a great site about motorcycling in the Hill Country. A bunch of the rides are 3 o4 4 hours away from Austin, so you might want to make base camp a little further out, like in Fredericksburg.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ping me.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Smiddyt
Cruiser

There are a lot of great places to ride in the Hill country and many great places to eat. As long as you dont go to fast the curves arnt too bad either. http://www.hillcountrycruising.com/

Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 AM
sortasuave
Tourer

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
Cooper's BBQ in Llano is a long time favorite. I always take 1431 (lots of curves, but not too bad) to Marble Falls, then turn north on 281. A few miles up the road, take a left onto Park Road 4. This is an absolutely stunning road that leads you into Inks Lake, and some beautiful pink granite covered landscape that makes you think a dinosaur will pop up at any time. Once you get to 29, take a left and go into Llano. Cooper's is straight at the light, and a favorite place to meet for bikers from all around.

You can also go southwest into Dripping Springs, Wimberly, San Marcos, the choices are endless. Almost any road is a great one. Luckenbach is also a favorite destination, and there's always a ton of bikes out there. You can stop and have a refreshment while you listen to some live music, then get a t-shirt to prove you were there.

Here's a great site about motorcycling in the Hill Country. A bunch of the rides are 3 o4 4 hours away from Austin, so you might want to make base camp a little further out, like in Fredericksburg.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ping me.

I live in the area and second this route. It's one I take a lot of people visiting in the area on.

Adding to that, From LLano, you'll probably want to head down to Fredricksburg. There's a couple of ways to do it. The first and most direct route from Llano is via TX-16.

If you want to branch out a little on the way to Fredricksburg, you can catch Ranch Road 965. This will run you by Enchanted Rock State park.

From Fredricksburg, you have a couple of ways back, but the fastest is Highway 290. You can follow this all the way back to Austin.

If you have a little more time to burn, you can catch 290 to Johnson city.
Head North on 281 to Ranch Road 962. After about 40 or so miles, it will turn into Hamilton Pool Road and will dump out about a mile north of Bee Caves. From there you can work your way back to Austin/Round rock via 620.

Just like bluffalobob, I can provide more detail if you need it.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 PM
campincowboy
Tourer

All above are great, except 290/71 into Austin. City has moved so far west, traffic is almost always stop and go for miles. Most fm roads are great, and definately try Coopers as suggested in Llano.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

I visited Austin 3 different times a few years back as I don't remember what routes or street names are. Anyways, Friend took me out in the back roads which took us to Salt Lick BBQ. Thought that road was nice and the food there was great.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

My buddies and I are planning a similar trip and appreciate all the great info.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:04 AM
mil10633
3rd Gear

Hey Hill Country riders. I'm picking up my new 2009 Road King next Tuesday (May 19th) from Cental Texas HD in Round Rock. I just moved to Horseshoe Bay (I'm new to the area) and wanted to know if any local riders are going to be out next weekend (Saturday morning, May 23rd). I'd like to meet up with anyone in the area that has time that morning to let me tag along. Best regards, Chris

Quick Reply: Austin, Tx Area