Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad did I F&$k Up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi-Def
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad did I F&$k Up?

Ok it has not been a good day. I own a 2000 FLHRCI Road King Classic with 18,000 miles. It is in mint mint condition and today while at a clients house I forgot to turn off the ignition switch. The headlamp wore the battery down quite a bit and the bike would not turn over. Luckily, I was on a hill and so I roll started it in 2nd gear. It started easily and I was off to my next stop. When I got to my next stop wich was only a few miles away, I left the bike idling in his driveway since there were no hills here. I expected to only be a few min and well, I got major sidetracked and I forgot that my bike was idling. When I went to leave I was so disgusted with the fact that I forgot that I had left it for so long (almost an hour). It was smoking hot and very low on fuel as well. So, I took it very easy and slow up the street to a gas station. I shut it off and this thing was hot. When I took the fuel cap off it was under pressure and hissed for a while. I sat there and let it cool for about half an hour in 50 degree air. The throttle cable was not its usuall smoothness and the spring did not return the grip to idle. eventually I filled it which fresh, cool fuel and decided to strart it up and baby it home 40 MPH and easy on the throttle. It seemed to be running ok exept for the sticky throttle. What are the chances that my motor will be ok?

I have run full synthetic amsoil in this for the last 7,000 miles.

Thank you in advance.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

About the only and best thing you can due is change fluids in all three holes, run it as usual and listen for any problems. Guess that would sicken me also. good luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Jon H
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"When I went to leave I was so disgusted with the fact that I forgot that I had left it for so long (almost an hour). It was smoking hot"

Some things [visuals] really are priceless!
I am rolling on floor, laughing my A off
Thanks
Jon

Old 05-11-2009, 09:08 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

If you're the original owner and only have 18k miles in 9 years, hell ya I'd say you definitely F&$ked up. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I would keep an eye on things, but it couldn't hurt to change out the engine oil. The tranny and primary shouldn't be affected from sitting and idling.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:09 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Ahh...it is probably just like smoking.....will take a little off the life in the long run but will be fine now. Probably want to lube your throttle cable.

Adam

Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good one DAWG......but i would just change all three holes with fresh lubes and ride it.....you should be able to adjust the throttel cable...and get the respose back or maybe if you got it that hot you melted the end of the cable....you might have to replace it.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

You probably need to ride it more often.

I put about 18K on mine in a year. We all do dumbass things once in a while. Ever hit the kill switch at night or the horn when you were feeling for the directional?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, 50F outside? Was there any wind blowing? It may not be ideal, but if she ran okay going home, maybe it's now a showstopper either, especially since you have synthetic oil in the holes. Only thing I'd be concerned about is low oil flow under idle, since the oil helps cool the cylinders. As has been said, change the fluids and ride -- not much other choice anyway, is there? I'm assuming you have a carb since you were able to start by rolling downhill. Not sure why your throttle would be stiff except from thermal expansion of the cables when "smoking hot." Did that clear up after it cooled off? If not, can you readjust the cables and maybe relube for smooth action? Good luck, Hi-Def. Keep us posted.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:19 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It'll be fine. Ride the bloody thing.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Take a look at all the plastic and rubber parts under the tank.That kind of heat could have melted/warped those parts.Might be why the throttle feels different.

Quick Reply: How bad did I F&$k Up?