Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad did I F&$k Up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi-Def
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the delay. I appreciate all the feedback and the pokes as well.

The throttle cables come down under the tank and touch the backside of the front cylinder head. At that point the plastic covering of the cable is melted. I believe that is the area of failure. The cables are definitely related to this incident. They where smooth and the response from the throttle body return spring was fine before my screw-up.

I am going to replace the cables and change all three holes with fresh Amsoil.

As for the comment that it must be a carburated, no, it is injected. I did have enough juice in the battery for the fuel pump to operate and roll starting in 2nd gear was easy and instant.

I am not the original owner. I did however purchase it 16 months ago as a completely stock Road King Classic and had changed the fluids to Amsoil at that time and did one change in between. So 7k in 1.2 (New England) riding seasons is not bad. Considering I also have a 2005 CVO V-Rod that I also manage to put a couple thousand on as well. I love to ride and I love my Road King so much that the V-Rod is up for sale, $17,000. 10k miles, loaded!

I added a removable king tour pack, Removable front fairing with swappable full windshield and mini-widshield as well as a set of hardbags and BUB true duals with a PC-III. I changed all the seating and backrests to Mustang. I had the suspension lowered 1.5 inches, with race-tech front springs and gold valve emulaters and the rear to progressive chromed shocks. Added chrome fork sliders and cans in the front and a new set of HD wide whitewall tires.

Attached Thumbnails How bad did I F&$k Up?-my-2000-road-king_01.jpg   How bad did I F&$k Up?-my-05-cvo-8-2007_01.jpg  
Old 05-12-2009, 12:57 AM
jd533
Road Captain

it's junk now but since you are new here I would be happy to hual it to the scrap yard for ya just to be nice.
Or you could change the fluids and check cables. good luck.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 PM
pwp
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
You probably need to ride it more often.

I put about 18K on mine in a year. We all do dumbass things once in a while. Ever hit the kill switch at night or the horn when you were feeling for the directional?
Hahah... I thought I was the only a$$hat who pulled off the smooth move of pressing the horn button while trying to activate the turn signals. :-D The sad thing is that since I'm not expecting the noise, when I do hear that sudden **HONK** I almost jump off of my seat!!

Old 05-12-2009, 04:30 PM
shvlrydr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pwp
Hahah... I thought I was the only a$$hat who pulled off the smooth move of pressing the horn button while trying to activate the turn signals. :-D The sad thing is that since I'm not expecting the noise, when I do hear that sudden **HONK** I almost jump off of my seat!!
hey PWP, not get to off the subject but what kind of seat is that you're runnin'? any info would be great.

Dan

Old 05-12-2009, 04:33 PM
wkenddad
Tourer

Ok Ok, now you have the excuse you need to trade it in on a new 2009 model....

Old 05-12-2009, 04:35 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pwp
Even more startling with an air horn

Old 05-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Bad Pig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pwp
I just done that the other night......went to hit the turn sig button and WHAAA...damn horn! bout dropped a duece in the seat!!
sucks when your not expecting it....i'm sure the guy behind me was laughing.....he had to seen me jump

Old 05-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be OK but as stated in other change oil and dont forget filter just in case you did get a bit of wear or carburisation. As gearheads on this forum we tend to be a bit supercritical but these engines are pretty strong and it wasn't as though the air temp was high. Last time i hit the horn button instead of the turn signal was when i was in the middle of a group ride. Almost stopped the group because they didn't know what it was for. Just a bit embarrassed

Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

good thing you had the best synthetic oil you can buy dino oil would have burnt

your engine to a large degre i would change all the fluids even the brake fluid

just to be safe-ride safe

Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 PM
campincowboy
Tourer

Change the oil and ride the ^@^&%$&%^$ out of it. should be fine.

Quick Reply: How bad did I F&$k Up?