Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks for father's Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocks for father's Electra Glide Classic

So my father has an 09 Electra Glide Classic that he was trying to sell, but I think it's turning out that he's just going to hold on to it. One reason he was thinking of selling it was he wanted to go back to a lower riding position that he felt was a bit more comfortable and so forth. He's come to the conclusion that he should just try lowering the rear end with some new shocks, perhaps some Progressives.

His issue is that he feels he's sitting "on" the bike rather than "in" it and he said when he comes to stops, he doesn't feel as comfortable as he had on previous bikes he's had such as a Heritage Classic. He's a big guy, around 6'1 or so and probably 240lbs.

As stated, he loves the way a bike like a Heritage or a Fat Boy sits, but he likes his soft ride with the Electra Glide Classic, so he wants to lower the rear end and hopefully eliminate that feeling of sitting on the bike and feel more in it with his stance a bit lower, his arms going up for the bars some more and so forth.

So the question is, which springs do you guys generally go with on a bike like the Electra Glide Classic that will lower the rear end without totally slamming it? Will something from Progressive still feel as soft and cushioned as the air shocks that the bike comes with stock? What's the stock height of the factory shocks?

He rides solo most of the time, but my mother does ride with him from time to time so I don't know if that would require him to get a heavy duty setup as opposed to standard, but that's why I'm asking.

I just don't want him to show up at the dealer and have them slap something on, so I figured many of you with these bikes would have some good advice. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Araba Shriner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Progressive shocks on mine. Check the links below the picture, and you can get an idea of what they do. I also put a sundowner seat on mine, which lowers me (1) inch and (2) inches further back. I sit pretty low, and can flat foot without problems. I am vertically challanged so these changes really helped. Good Luck in your decision.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain

What model Progressives do you have? You have a great looking ride!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

At over 6 feet, he should not have any issues with height of bike, so not sure what lowering with new shocks would accomplish. May want to look at a different seat that would give him the feel of sitting lower on the bike. Also, have him sit on a Street Glide and see how that feels.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robbie52
At over 6 feet, he should not have any issues with height of bike, so not sure what lowering with new shocks would accomplish. May want to look at a different seat that would give him the feel of sitting lower on the bike. Also, have him sit on a Street Glide and see how that feels.
I think robbie52 has the right idea. Try a new seat first!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:49 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain

Any seat recommendations along with the Sundowner?

I've always liked Mustang, but from what I've read they can actually RAISE you an inch or so...

Last edited by ShockwaveTXB; 05-11-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My HD Badlander gives you that down in the frame feel, down and back a few inches both ways, but he may not want to give up that much comfort. I find it comfortable, but some guys on here say otherwise. He could try having Mean City Cycles rework his stock seat. They can move him down and back

Old 05-11-2009, 08:04 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain

Mean City Cycles might be a good idea. They cost 1/3 the price of a new seat and could be just as good if not better. Thanks.

The Sundowner also looks like a good choice.

Last edited by ShockwaveTXB; 05-11-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:05 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought a seat out of the MOCO catalog that lowered me 1.5 inches and forward 1.5 inches. I am only 5'7 on an ultra. That seat helped. As well as the 6 inch windshield.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:15 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
I recently bought a seat out of the MOCO catalog that lowered me 1.5 inches and forward 1.5 inches. I am only 5'7 on an ultra. That seat helped. As well as the 6 inch windshield.
Ya my dad is definitely not short, so I'm actually surprised he's complained of his position.

I actually think it's more that he prefers the lower stance of a bike like a Heritage or a Fat Boy, both bikes he's liked before.

I don't think it's so much that he's reaching for the ground as it is he'd rather be firmly planted with room to go. He has had one of his knees replaced and the other will be in the future. Maybe that has something to do with him feeling more comfortable lower more than it having as much to do with his height. It's not like he's 5'9 (as I am) and can barely touch the ground.

I think he just likes the feel of being in the bike with his arms slightly up for the bars rather than feeling like he's sitting on it with his arms above the bars.

And when he says everytime he stops he feels like he's uncomfortable might have more to do with his bad knees and his legs being more straight, than when he was on lower bikes and had some more "give."

If any of that makes sense...

Quick Reply: Shocks for father's Electra Glide Classic