Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks for father's Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:17 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His bike has 13" shocks on the rear. You can buy a set of 12" air shocks from several different places besides HD. We got a set from eastern performance cycle for less than 150.00 a year or so ago. Robbie 52's suggestion of setting on a street glide is a good one, they have 12" shocks on the rear. He can see if that makes enough difference for him. I put a C & C seat which sets quite a bit lower and farther back on my bike and I no longer feel like I'm sitting on top of the bike, but down in it. It feels heckuva a lot better to me than it did stock. I would not for any reason go back to the way it was stock

Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Araba Shriner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A different seat would make a huge difference on where you sit on the scoot. I mentioned Sundowner before and was wrong, it is a Badlander... my bad.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:36 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Badlander looks pretty low profile. How's the comfort on that?

The Sundowner looked like a low sitting seat similar to that but with all the padding of a touring seat...

Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 PM
16X9 Shooter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ShockwaveTXB

His issue is that he feels he's sitting "on" the bike rather than "in" it
Works Shocks

Click to Enlarge
Steel Trackers

Shown with Dual-Rate Springs (DRS) and optional cast Adjustable Rate Suspension (ARS) system for maximum adjustability for load and road conditions. Best choice for two-up touring.

Last edited by 16X9 Shooter; 05-11-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

Originally Posted by ShockwaveTXB
Ya my dad is definitely not short, so I'm actually surprised he's complained of his position.

I actually think it's more that he prefers the lower stance of a bike like a Heritage or a Fat Boy, both bikes he's liked before.

I don't think it's so much that he's reaching for the ground as it is he'd rather be firmly planted with room to go. He has had one of his knees replaced and the other will be in the future. Maybe that has something to do with him feeling more comfortable lower more than it having as much to do with his height. It's not like he's 5'9 (as I am) and can barely touch the ground.

I think he just likes the feel of being in the bike with his arms slightly up for the bars rather than feeling like he's sitting on it with his arms above the bars.

And when he says everytime he stops he feels like he's uncomfortable might have more to do with his bad knees and his legs being more straight, than when he was on lower bikes and had some more "give."

If any of that makes sense...
I understand his concerns completely. Adjusting to the bulk and higher carriage of the ultra after so many years of lower slung saddles has been my challenge. Watching ride like a pro video's have help with most of the concerns I had. Good stuff there. You may want to get one for him. Like I said I know it helped me. Struggling over whose the boss, me or the Ultra, had been touch and go up to that point.

Getting the lower windshield was more of a psychological advantage for me as sitting behind the 12 incher made me feel like I was in an inclosed capsule.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:23 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

Just came back from the harley shop and the technician explained to me the coolest thing, apoligize if its already been mentioned. They have this air ride system that raises and lowers your bike with the push of a button. 1 button lowers it and 1 button raises it pneumatically. Its about 1000$ installed? The buttons are very inconspicuous on the handlebars just after the housing for the other buttons.

Expensive but cheaper then anew bike,eh.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:37 PM
rixida
Advanced
Cool its a little embarrasing but.....

I feel the same way shockwaves father feels. I have a 2009 electra glide classic and i came off of a heritage. It feels very unsteady coming to a stop especially with a passenger. Last weekend I dropped it over at a stop sign in front of my friends with my wife on back. oops. I feel like Im ontop of the bike also, and then it has a bigger, wider gas tank. It almost feels like a BMW. I dont want to sound cheap but wouldn't it be less expensive to lower the rear than to pay 4-500 dollars for a new seat? But then again, I really love the cornering ability of the bike. I dont know what to do yet. Let me know what your dad decides on please.