Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With Saddle Bags Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 AM
1999E-Glide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Saddle Bags Please

My bike currently has the Police Bags on it. I have dressed them up with the chrome pucks and filler inlay. My wife loves them and says they are
a whole lot easier to open than the normal bags on my dads Road King.
I can't stand the puck on the top and think the normal latch bags look better. What do you guys think? Would you spend the money on the normal bags or just deal with the ones I have? I looked at putting the pop-up button on my police bags, but I don't know if I like that either. ANY comments or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks. Kevin.
I also included a pic with my bags.

Attached Thumbnails Need Help With Saddle Bags Please-dscn0689.jpg   Need Help With Saddle Bags Please-dscn0690.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 09:06 AM
kupitz
Cruiser

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if the lids are interchangeable, would assume they are. I see them all the time on ebay, and if you're patient you might even find the matching color.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Never thought the Hockey Pucks looked all that bad .. But as stated above if watch Ebay should be able to find a set with a color match to boot...

Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I had Southco M1-2A-13-1 flush mount chrome pushbutton latches on my bags for 3+ years and they worked and looked great IMO. I also sold about 50 sets of these on ebay and never had a buyer complaint post-sale. They are a marine grade latch so they stand up well to the elements. Due to their design, they can be damaged if the lid is closed and the latch mechanism compressed against the contents of the saddlebag. Installation instructions were provided to the buyers because the hole in the lid needs to be enlarged about 1/4" and the bracket in the bottom of the bag lowered about 1/2" to 3/4". I haven't sold these latches for about a year and I'm not selling them now because the modest profit wasn't worth my time.

I also sold about 25 pair of another Southco latch, MP05-312-11. It doesn't require enlarging the lid hole and its design makes it less susceptible to damage from compression. It isn't quite as "flush" as the M1 latch.

You can read about these latches at Southco's website, southco.com and get as much information as you could want, including drawings, materials lists, etc.

This is a pic of the M1 latch on my bag:

http://

If you want more information, PM me and I'll be glad to help. Also, you may decide you don't like the OEM hinges. Contact Richard Pomeroy at dickeld@aol.com for info on his beautiful chrome billet hinges. I'd have used them for my police bags, and my buddy has them on his black FLHPI and they look sharp.

Personally, I prefer the police bags to the civilian bags for function, and the cosmetic issues can be dealt with at very modest cost. However, when I did my recent paint project, I used a set of civilian '08 take-offs that were perfect and cheap, rather than do bodywork on the police bags to get rid of the sheetmetal rivet backing plates on the front and rear of the bags because I as in a hurry.

Good luck with your project. You've already done a lot of work on the bike (removing the towel rack light bar, install SG turn signals, change handlebar switches(?)), so the work involved in the flush mount latches won't be a problem for you.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:02 AM
1999E-Glide
Cruiser

Thanks for all the advice/compliments so far. Any more would be appreciated. My wife would have the pop-up latches broke in a
week because every time we scoot between her purse, jacket,
make-up back, etc, my saddlebags are packed to the top. And she
likes how the police bags just swing open and close. I just see most
bikes with the civilian bags, and can't for the life of me decide what
to do. I can pick up a set of civilians for $650 painted to match,
and mine should sell for pretty decent money, I just have to make the
decision.

Harleypingman:

Yeah I have done quite a bit of work to the bike, and even more since these pictures were taken, a lot more chome, I finally have everything (except wheels) done, I just keep back and forth about the bags. Thanks guys.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

So, you get the wife's okay for the civilian bags because she can put more stuff in them since there's no bracket in the bottom of the bag, and no latch mechanism to puncture or hurt her stuff.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:07 AM
1999E-Glide
Cruiser
Talking

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
So, you get the wife's okay for the civilian bags because she can put more stuff in them since there's no bracket in the bottom of the bag, and no latch mechanism to puncture or hurt her stuff.

You guys are brilliant. I am forwarding her this thread righ now so she
knows why we need to spend the $600. Thanks guys!!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 PM
robo1211
Cruiser

i know this is an old thread, but i found these puck replacements from fat baggers, http://store.fatbaggers.com/bipobagkn.html

they retain same latch mech but look much better than the pucks. i haven't ordered a set yet, but they are on my wish list. has anyone tried these?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:49 PM
robo1211
Cruiser

i have a set of pop up latches that i have never installed because i don't think they have the holding power of the stock police latches. especially if you pack the bags full.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:39 PM
jnd42697
Advanced

I have the pop up latches on my RK and I think they look great. They do cause an issue with loading the bags full. I am looking for another style of latch as I have replaced the right side latch three times. For some reason that side keeps breaking. They are a clean look and everyone I ride with loves the ease of opening the bags.