Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:56 AM
03sporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Suggestions

I've been using a Magellan GPS on my Ultra, but its really meant for a car. Any suggestions. I need to get one thats easier to see in bright sunlight. I've been looking at the Garmin Zumo 660 & 550. I can use some feedback from those who are using any of these. Before I spend a ton of money for nothing

Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZUMO 550 on Ebay! The 650 really doesn't add more for ya! You can get a great mount and ride to your hearts content!

Good Luck on your search! Mike

Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I can only tell you my experience with the 550... 100%happy with my purchase have had it close to 2 years.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Pardner
Cruiser

I've recently purchased a Garman NUVI 500 and am very happy with it. Its waterproof so I don't have to worry so much about the weather. I can create routes on Google Map and download them to the unit ... which is better then sliced bread for me

Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on zumo 550 - great gps, use it in my truck with the supplied car mount, added the xm antenna, tough and durable, accurate, hard wired the motorcycle mount to my accessory connector, comes with all you need to be up and running.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 AM
dan_tominovich
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 550 and the 650 both have bluetooth. If it connects to the AUX on the Ultra Classic, can you talk through the headset on the phone?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:56 AM
03sporty
Cruiser

Great info, that's what I need from people that actually use them. I'm finding that the 660 is brand new, and very hard to find at this time.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:17 AM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser

I have the Zumo 660 for a couple of weeks now. This unit has some great features and some bugs.

Questions that I was concerned about when purchasing the Zumo:
  1. Can I read the screen in full sunlight with sunglasses on and the dark tinted visor down? – YES
  2. Is the screen big enough and clear enough to for these “mature eyes” to see while driving? – YES
  3. Will I be able to leave my paper maps at home during a trip? – NO, the screen just does not show enough detail (no matter what the map setting) to allow you to get the big picture. I wish the Garmin would sense the fact that if the Zumo is stationary the map detail can automatically increased 10X plus.
  4. Are the preloaded road maps accurate? – YES, at least for SE Minnesota.

Bugs found that if not fixed would have seen this Zumo on ebay:
  1. Town names not shown no matter what the zoom level. – FIXED last week with a new firmware download from Garmin.
  2. Transferring routes directly from MapSource to the Zumo resulted in the route being ignored and the waypoints connected with direct lines. – There is an easy work around and Garmin is reported to be working on the problem. Some zumoforum members are still concerned that the Zumo will still doing some “rerouting” when a route is transferred, but I haven’t seen this bug.

Other:
  1. Many, many POIs, point of interest, (restaurants, gas stations, etc.) are loaded into the Zumo, but Subway restaurants are not.
  2. It is very easy to add thousands of POIs to the Zumo. For example, I added all of the Harley dealers in the USA and Canada.
  3. I can’t find a POI spreadsheet with all of the Subways in the USA listed.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Mud Puppy
Stage IV

Originally Posted by OD_Cleaver
I have the Zumo 660 for a couple of weeks now. This unit has some great features and some bugs.

Questions that I was concerned about when purchasing the Zumo:
  1. Can I read the screen in full sunlight with sunglasses on and the dark tinted visor down? – YES
  2. Is the screen big enough and clear enough to for these “mature eyes” to see while driving? – YES
  3. Will I be able to leave my paper maps at home during a trip? – NO, the screen just does not show enough detail (no matter what the map setting) to allow you to get the big picture. I wish the Garmin would sense the fact that if the Zumo is stationary the map detail can automatically increased 10X plus.
  4. Are the preloaded road maps accurate? – YES, at least for SE Minnesota.

Bugs found that if not fixed would have seen this Zumo on ebay:
  1. Town names not shown no matter what the zoom level. – FIXED last week with a new firmware download from Garmin.
  2. Transferring routes directly from MapSource to the Zumo resulted in the route being ignored and the waypoints connected with direct lines. – There is an easy work around and Garmin is reported to be working on the problem. Some zumoforum members are still concerned that the Zumo will still doing some “rerouting” when a route is transferred, but I haven’t seen this bug.

Other:
  1. Many, many POIs, point of interest, (restaurants, gas stations, etc.) are loaded into the Zumo, but Subway restaurants are not.
  2. It is very easy to add thousands of POIs to the Zumo. For example, I added all of the Harley dealers in the USA and Canada.
  3. I can’t find a POI spreadsheet with all of the Subways in the USA listed.
Where did you download the HD Dealerships? Thanks!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:56 AM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser

Mud Puppy,

Try this link: http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?...a=view;down=10

You may need to become a member of zumoforums.com to get there. It is not the one that I used, but the author says that he has just updated it.

I used one that I found here: http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles

Quick Reply: GPS Suggestions