Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Street Glide Jiffystand scraping??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:27 PM
gmurdock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Street Glide Jiffystand scraping??

Anyone else have their jiffy stand scrape when turn hard on left turns? It is the part that sticks up for you to bring the stand down. I have only scraped the floor boards on the right side once in a while. I am afraid it will catch & cause the bike to jump or something. When I talked to one of the service guys he said I was riding the bike too hard. I have scraped my floor boards on almost every bike I have had for the past 6 years. Ben riding about 40. Could I bend the tab up so it would not be so easy to scrape? Or should I have another one so when I try to bend it up & it snaps I have a Jiffystand. Why does HD call the KICKSTAND A JIFFY STAND?

Old 05-10-2009, 06:42 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by gmurdock
Why does HD call the KICKSTAND A JIFFY STAND?
From wiki answers:

harley davidson has always called it a jiffy stand, at least as long or longer than it has been called a kickstand. H.D. has been around a very long time and had they been more popular in the early years everyone would be calling it a jiffy.

Originally, most bikes had a frame mounted 'center stand'. On most older HD models, there was a center stand clipped to the inside of the rear fender requiring the operator to lift the whole back end of the bike to swing it into place under the frame, the "jiffy stand" was a quick easy method of standing the bike up without getting a hernia...the term jiffy stand was coined to distinguish the center stand from the side or "kick" stand as it could be deployed in a 'jiffy'.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:50 PM
wolfshead1
Tourer

Anyone else have their jiffy stand scrape when turn hard on left turns? It is the part that sticks up for you to bring the stand down. I have only scraped the floor boards on the right side once in a while. I am afraid it will catch & cause the bike to jump or something. When I talked to one of the service guys he said I was riding the bike too hard. I have scraped my floor boards on almost every bike I have had for the past 6 years. Ben riding about 40. Could I bend the tab up so it would not be so easy to scrape? Or should I have another one so when I try to bend it up & it snaps I have a Jiffystand. Why does HD call the KICKSTAND A JIFFY STAND?
This is bot good.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:02 PM
gmurdock
Tourer

OK I really don't care what it is called was just curious. I am more interested in why it scrapes on left turns & can the tab be bent up without breaking if I go slow & easy? I admit all the other bikes I have had where Jap or German bikes but never had someone tell me I was riding the bike too hard because the Jiffy Stand scraped. floorboards yes. If I get the upgraded holder that HD didn't put on the early 09s would that help?

Old 05-10-2009, 08:04 PM
gmurdock
Tourer

wolfshead1

Can you explain? What do you mean (This is bot good.)

Old 05-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did it all the time on my 08 Street Glide but rarely on my 06. Go figure.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

wolfshead1

Can you explain? What do you mean (This is bot good.)
Wild stab, but I bet he hit the "b" instead of the "n" which happens to be right next to each other on the keyboard

Old 05-10-2009, 09:15 PM
herkdavis
Cruiser

The tab on your kick I mean jiffy stand may be bent a little. I've scraped the floor boards but not the stand on mine

Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 PM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I scrape my stand all the time. No worries here!!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 PM
badherb
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with the wrench you chatted with. I've had my SG for about 3 weeks and have not scraped anything. I ride well and I het corners hard ... I scraped my FXDWG all the time and it was lowered with harder rear shocks. If your a fat man try putting more air in your rear shocks. that may help you a little. or try slowing down a tad, it's not a race bike heh

Quick Reply: 09 Street Glide Jiffystand scraping??