Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo Custom Routes

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:05 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Zumo Custom Routes

I thought I would post this here since it seems that most of the Zumo threads are in the touring section.

I just ordered a Zumo 660 off of the Garmin website and it should arrive next week.

I'm planning on taking a 2200 mile trip to Colorado next month and would like to map out the whole trip beforehand.

My question is, if I create the route and get off of the main route to get gas, find a restaurant, ect, will the Zumo allow me to go back to the route that I have loaded, or will it recalculate and create a different route to my next destination?

Old 05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It recalculates, but your original route is still in the unit. Simply go to "menu", under "Where to?" touch "Stop". That will stop the route & the recalculated route. Touch "Where to?" & re-select your custom route. Zumo will ask you if you want to start from the beginning. Answer "no", & it will pickup from where it is now. All this is from my 550, but I assume it'll be the same in the 660.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:22 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's awesome. Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2009, 04:38 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I'm on a long trip, I like to preplan my routes for each day, and save them as Day 1, Day 2, etc. Even if you don't always know exactly where you'll spend the night, it's easier for me to manage. I can make changes to one day, without having to redo the entire route.

BTW, lots of great info on the Zumo Forums.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
When I'm on a long trip, I like to preplan my routes for each day, and save them as Day 1, Day 2, etc. Even if you don't always know exactly where you'll spend the night, it's easier for me to manage. I can make changes to one day, without having to redo the entire route.

BTW, lots of great info on the Zumo Forums.
Last trip, on the way back to Florida from Arizona, I split from the non-believers (GPS got no soul/a map does the same thing but cheaper/etc.) mid-day. I took some pre-routed back roads & enjoyed the scenery without being concerned with when/where to turn. The GPS handled that.

Late in the afternoon I found myself in the middle of "Nowhere Louisiana". Beautiful roads, but no motels to speak of. I pulled over & consulted the GPS for hotels/motels. The only ones I'd consider were a ways off at an intersection with an interstate hwy. I simply let the GPS pick the route to the intersection (didn't affect my original route), & wandered through some nice back roads to the motel cluster. Once there, I parked in one of the lots & called each of the motels since they were listed on the Zumo. Picked the one I wanted, made a reservation, rode across the highway, & checked in. Original route was still in the GPS & available for the next days ride if that was what I wanted. Regardless of the criticism, a good GPS is WAY better than a paper map!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:05 PM
David1701
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEW QUESTION. I have a ZUMO 660 and when I first got it I created some custom routes using the HD ride planner. Everything went ok; however, last week I made some changes to the existing routes and re-exported them to the Zumo. Next thing I know it is creating multiple versions of the route (i.e. Paris, Paris1, Paris2, etc), said it was out of memory and only had pieces of the route - not the whole thing. I deleted the routes in the Zumo, downloaded latest garmin communicator plug and created a brand new route. Same problem. I am at the point that I think I need to wipe the Zumo clean and re-pair my helmet commo & phone & re-load the maps I bought. Has anyone else had this problem and do you know of a fix? Thanks.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by David1701
NEW QUESTION. I have a ZUMO 660 and when I first got it I created some custom routes using the HD ride planner. Everything went ok; however, last week I made some changes to the existing routes and re-exported them to the Zumo. Next thing I know it is creating multiple versions of the route (i.e. Paris, Paris1, Paris2, etc), said it was out of memory and only had pieces of the route - not the whole thing. I deleted the routes in the Zumo, downloaded latest garmin communicator plug and created a brand new route. Same problem. I am at the point that I think I need to wipe the Zumo clean and re-pair my helmet commo & phone & re-load the maps I bought. Has anyone else had this problem and do you know of a fix? Thanks.
Not sure how helpful this will be, but info is info First, I don't use HD Ride Planner. I find Mapsource just fine for planning, & it's designed to work with the Zumo. OTOH, I have the Lifetime Map Update & whenever I update my maps I have to recreate all my routes. The old ones are still in the unit & will get you there, but they don't overlay the highways exactly as they did with the old map set. If you've updated your map set you'll probably have to recreate all your routes, & anytime you load a route with the same name as an existing route Garmin will identify the new one with a 1, 2, 3, etc.

Guess what I'm sayin' is that if either you have updated the map set in the unit, or Harley has updated the map set in the Ride Planner, you're going to have to recreate all your routes. Wouldn't hurt to let the rest of us know how it works out..............

Old 06-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jinks
Guess what I'm sayin' is that if either you have updated the map set in the unit, or Harley has updated the map set in the Ride Planner, you're going to have to recreate all your routes. Wouldn't hurt to let the rest of us know how it works out..............
I created routes for my upcoming Alaska trip using MapSource on my PC and uploaded them to my Z660. When I fired it up, it asked if I wanted to convert the routes to the newer map. I'll set up a few local routes, let the 660 convert them, and then see how they compare to the actual roads here in the Dallas area.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:42 PM
jackja25
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David1701
I would suggest that you go to zumoforums.com a great resouce for any model of Zumo. JMO

Old 06-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
I created routes for my upcoming Alaska trip using MapSource on my PC and uploaded them to my Z660. When I fired it up, it asked if I wanted to convert the routes to the newer map. I'll set up a few local routes, let the 660 convert them, and then see how they compare to the actual roads here in the Dallas area.
Interesting! Maybe Garmin is ironin' out a few small wrinkles, let us know.

Re: your sig file picture, ever fall asleep & roll off the low side?......

Quick Reply: Zumo Custom Routes