Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo Custom Routes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:32 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

david 1701

I do know the GPS will only hold X amount of routes, mine holds 10. This info is somewhere buried in the specs of the GPS. I had a long route and it devided it into 5 sections. it was a pain

Old 06-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by prostar
david 1701

I do know the GPS will only hold X amount of routes, mine holds 10. This info is somewhere buried in the specs of the GPS. I had a long route and it devided it into 5 sections. it was a pain
My 550 holds 50, & the 660/665 hold 20 routes unless you have a micro SD card for extra memory. Easy to find on Garmin's web site under "specs".

The map programs are getting bigger & eat more memory so that may reduce storage places for routes, but an SD card might help.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jinks
The map programs are getting bigger & eat more memory so that may reduce storage places for routes, but an SD card might help.
I added an 8GB card and between audio books and music, filled it fast. I upgraded it to the max capable 16GB to give me some breathing room. The extra space is nice, but it takes the 660 up to 30 seconds to index the files when I boot up. Until this happens, it looks as if you have no tunes. It also takes a few seconds for newly-added routes to appear. The waiting isn't an issue, but it had me wondering until I figured out what was happening. Once everything is up and running, it runs smooth and fast.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:17 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

When you have a route.gpx file on the card how do you get the route to show on the gps? Is there a menu item in tools that does this? Thanks in advance

Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Mine appear in the Custom Routes list. I press "Where To", scroll down to and select "Custom Routes" and they're there in their alphabetical ordered list. (had to go for the 3rd "their" variation...extra points)

Old 06-09-2011, 02:20 PM
jlacasci
Tourer

Another not sure if this will help but: I've had the 550 since it came out. It does not have a ton of memory it won't even hold the entire country as a map. I've loaded New England (where I'm from) into the Zumo and the rest of the country onto the 8Gig card. I've also ripped 20 albums or so of music onto the 8gig card. When I travel past my New England area, the Zumo picks up from the card. It just works. As to the Harley Ride planner, I love using it to first plan my routes. I also plan them by day1, day2 etc... Then I upload them to the zumo and if I upload them again they do get named with a 2, or a 3 etc... I like this though, I delete the ones I don't want from the zumo. Once I have them on the zumo I can tweak them if I want with MapSource. The nice thing about the ride planner is that I can share the ride with the group I'm traveling with and they can see it in the ride planner. They can't do that if I'm only using Mapsource. Although I recently learned the Google Earth will let you upload a route to it, and there are boxes to display waypoints or not. You can then email friends the route file and they can load it into Google Earth.

Joe

Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd spend some time with it well in advance of your trip - there is a learning curve to creating routes and exporting them and so on.

It is very easy and just like any other GPS to find a destination and hit GO but if you want to customize routes it takes some time to learn. That was my experience anyway.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Keefersan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
I'd spend some time with it well in advance of your trip - there is a learning curve to creating routes and exporting them and so on.

It is very easy and just like any other GPS to find a destination and hit GO but if you want to customize routes it takes some time to learn. That was my experience anyway.
You definitely want to spend some time playing with a new GPS to get used to it - out on the road is not a good place to get familiar with it.

Same thing with Mapsource. It has gotten better, but it's not as intuitive as it could be especially if you're making custom routes rather than letting the software do the routing.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by David1701
NEW QUESTION. I have a ZUMO 660 and when I first got it I created some custom routes using the HD ride planner. Everything went ok; however, last week I made some changes to the existing routes and re-exported them to the Zumo. Next thing I know it is creating multiple versions of the route (i.e. Paris, Paris1, Paris2, etc), said it was out of memory and only had pieces of the route - not the whole thing. I deleted the routes in the Zumo, downloaded latest garmin communicator plug and created a brand new route. Same problem. I am at the point that I think I need to wipe the Zumo clean and re-pair my helmet commo & phone & re-load the maps I bought. Has anyone else had this problem and do you know of a fix? Thanks.
I have the 660 and off course never read the manual, I think the +1,+2, etc. Are the waypoints of the trip. When I did the trip planner, and imported the file, each section was imported, like a folder with the different files.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlacasci
Another not sure if this will help but: I've had the 550 since it came out. It does not have a ton of memory it won't even hold the entire country as a map. I've loaded New England (where I'm from) into the Zumo and the rest of the country onto the 8Gig card. I've also ripped 20 albums or so of music onto the 8gig card. When I travel past my New England area, the Zumo picks up from the card. It just works. As to the Harley Ride planner, I love using it to first plan my routes. I also plan them by day1, day2 etc... Then I upload them to the zumo and if I upload them again they do get named with a 2, or a 3 etc... I like this though, I delete the ones I don't want from the zumo. Once I have them on the zumo I can tweak them if I want with MapSource. The nice thing about the ride planner is that I can share the ride with the group I'm traveling with and they can see it in the ride planner. They can't do that if I'm only using Mapsource. Although I recently learned the Google Earth will let you upload a route to it, and there are boxes to display waypoints or not. You can then email friends the route file and they can load it into Google Earth.

Joe
Joe, my 550 holds the entire country using Mapsource's 2011 map set. I don't have any music loaded, & only 1 picture for the splash screen, but the base unit holds the entire country. I do agree though on the memory, all the Garmin units are going to have to increase memory, or condense the map sets.

Quick Reply: Zumo Custom Routes