Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Blue Ridge Parkway

Hey you rednecks , this yankee is headed south to Maggie Valley this summer and hope to be able to go there via the BRP. What I need to know is how much time should we allow to do this part of the ride justice?

Last edited by soos; 05-10-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:30 AM
fonemann
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Br pkwy

Ride as fast as you can,especially on the straigtaways, pass as many cars as you can , it needs resurfacing in some spots, and you will help

Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 AM
confused
Road Captain

I have traveled the BRP many times
I did it straight thru once and averaged 100 miles in 4 hours
It was my first time and I was taking it slow, but not pulling off at too many lookouts. Your avg may vary.
When I do it again, and I will because I think it is a great road, I want to take it slower and camp, hike, explore, etc... not rush thru it

Also, NO GAS on the BRP anymore - PLAN ACCORDINGLY

Old 05-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The BRP speed limit is 45 mph most of the way but slower in some places, don't push it much or one of the Park Rangers fwill give you a Performance Award!! Google the Parkway and check out the road closures, there are several and are scheduled to be completed soon. FWIW, call the Parkway Headquarters (828-271-4779) and tell them you are planning to ride your bike. They will gladly send you a map and a bunch of other stuff...Ask 'em for a list of scenic overlooks, access roads, and ANY other literature they have that will assist you.

When you get to Maggie Valley, check out the Travelowes Motel. http://www.travelowes.com/ Nice and clean, biker friendly, and won't break the bank.

I feel certain you wanna ride the Dragon...Check out the Hellbender 28, Cherahala Skyway (don't have their number but they sent me maps and other info also), but stay the hellouta Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge unless you like stop and go traffic (with the emphasis on stop). Most of the Maggie Valley/Cherokee area is dry so get yer refreshments before stopping for the night!

Have ya figured out the Zumo 450 yet?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:39 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olde Skool
The BRP speed limit is 45 mph most of the way but slower in some places, don't push it much or one of the Park Rangers fwill give you a Performance Award!! Google the Parkway and check out the road closures, there are several and are scheduled to be completed soon. FWIW, call the Parkway Headquarters (828-271-4779) and tell them you are planning to ride your bike. They will gladly send you a map and a bunch of other stuff...Ask 'em for a list of scenic overlooks, access roads, and ANY other literature they have that will assist you.

When you get to Maggie Valley, check out the Travelowes Motel. http://www.travelowes.com/ Nice and clean, biker friendly, and won't break the bank.

I feel certain you wanna ride the Dragon...Check out the Hellbender 28, Cherahala Skyway (don't have their number but they sent me maps and other info also), but stay the hellouta Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge unless you like stop and go traffic (with the emphasis on stop). Most of the Maggie Valley/Cherokee area is dry so get yer refreshments before stopping for the night!

Have ya figured out the Zumo 450 yet?
I had better luck avoiding the Park Rangers during the week. IMO forget about Sat/Sun because of the people and po po. I got one of those awards on a Sat late afternoon. Only good thing was since it's federal land (BRP) there a no points to be transfered back to Mass.
Oh ya Sky Line, BRP and Cherahala is true biker heaven. The dragon is alright but our HD's really are not made for that road.

Last edited by MassHD; 05-10-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:40 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

You dammed Yankee hehe. I just did exactly this trip (got back Friday night), took the Autotrain from Fla to Va, ran the Skyline Drive to BRP to Maggie Valley. Pretty wet ride and was above the clouds or in them most of the way but enjoyed the hell out of it. Check for closures, I didnt, and ran into 4 detours, pissed me off since I didnt do the whole thing, oh well guess I will have to do again in September. Spent a week in Maggie Valley at Abbey Inn, very MC friendly there, the whole area is. Have breakfast at Joeys Pancake House you will like it fast service great breakfast good price, good coffee. Watch out for the new blacktop on 28 leading up to the Dragon it is slick when wet (dont ask how I know), you will love this trip.Do the BRP over the weekend so you can have the Dragon and other riding routes to yourself (almost) on Monday through Thursday.

Last edited by masterblaster; 05-10-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:13 PM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I leave May 22nd for the BRP and can't wait. Taking 9 days for some good old bike riding.. Me, my father, my fiance's dad, his dad and a friend are all doing the trip. My fiance's grandfather is 80 and this will be his first long trip. He has been riding 60 years and never done a road trip.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
Hey you rednecks , this yankee is headed south to Maggie Valley this summer and hope to be able to go there via the BRP. What I need to know is how much time should we allow to do this part of the ride justice?
Olde Skool gave you some pretty good advice. Not knowing how you ride I'm only guessin', but you should be able to run from Groveland to Front Royal in a day. From there you'll need two days to do the Skyway & BRP unless you enjoy talkin' to cops & collectin' tickets. I wouldn't worry much about detours since there is no poor scenery along the way. The only thing you'll miss is the opportunity to claim you did the Skyway/BRP end to end. As for doin' it justice, well I been goin' up there for over 20 years & I haven't seen all of the area yet.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:22 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Done the BRP and Skyline drive twice from end to end. Really pretty and nice roads, but make sure you get off the parkway as much as possible. I always thought the roads and small towns in the whole area around there were actually better than the parkway itself. In other words, stop and smell the roses often.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:31 PM
THABULL
Road Master

FYI there is a big section closed between Blowing Rock ,NC. and Asheville ,NC.
http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm
Get gas when possible and watch your speed the rangers can and will right tickets!

Quick Reply: Blue Ridge Parkway