Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Hammer107
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
Hey you rednecks , this yankee is headed south to Maggie Valley this summer and hope to be able to go there via the BRP. What I need to know is how much time should we allow to do this part of the ride justice?
As a fellow yankee who moved south....you should allow about 6 months of straight ride time to Maggie Valley justice.

Best riding around in my opinion.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Laural Springs right off the BRP is a nice place to eat, and they have a hotel there too. Like someone else said get off the BRP and run 80, that road rocks!!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:26 PM
dnitram
Road Master

If you want to go to Jerry's Pancake house, go EARLY! The line stays out the door in the morning (but they usually get you in after about 20 minutes or so). I had several good meals at the Garlic Knots (FANTASTIC GREEK SALAD - BEST I EVER HAD). Stay away from the amusement park Ghost Town - road is lousy for motorcycles going up or down AND they told us they didn't want motorcycles there.

Go by Ghost Town Harley Davidson while you're up there. Very nice folks and they WILL wheel & deal on their bikes IF you're interested. The BRP to Gatlinburg was a fun ride... slow, but fun. Went through 5 or 6 tunnels, which was something I'd never experienced before. What a hoot! By the way, you can buy beer in the gas stations AND there are TWO ABC stores for the hard stuff in case you're interested. If you're going to ride the Draggon, best not to do it on the weekends as it's way crowded!

Have a GREAT time and a Safe Ride!!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dnitram
If you want to go to Jerry's Pancake house, go EARLY! The line stays out the door in the morning (but they usually get you in after about 20 minutes or so). I had several good meals at the Garlic Knots (FANTASTIC GREEK SALAD - BEST I EVER HAD). Stay away from the amusement park Ghost Town - road is lousy for motorcycles going up or down AND they told us they didn't want motorcycles there.

Go by Ghost Town Harley Davidson while you're up there. Very nice folks and they WILL wheel & deal on their bikes IF you're interested. The BRP to Gatlinburg was a fun ride... slow, but fun. Went through 5 or 6 tunnels, which was something I'd never experienced before. What a hoot! By the way, you can buy beer in the gas stations AND there are TWO ABC stores for the hard stuff in case you're interested. If you're going to ride the Draggon, best not to do it on the weekends as it's way crowded!

Have a GREAT time and a Safe Ride!!
+1 on Ghost Town H-D,they sold my wife a set of chaps to match her purple Jacket. They were $285 but we paid $200 and they gave me an H-D grill without me spending the required $300. Hats Off to Ghost Town and CrossRoads H-D.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My good friend lives in Maggie Valley. You're gonna love it there!! It's absolutely beautiful.

Oh yea....I drove from Raleigh NC to Waynesville NC to buy my bike form Ghost Town Harley Davidson. Excellent people there! Check out Maggie's Galley (*for food)...its an old shack made from several different local barns but the food is excellent and the place has lots of character...and while you are there, check out Waynesville, it is a very quaint town with great bars and resturants....

Last edited by FunkyNova66; 06-30-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got back from the skyline drive and blue ridge parkway, the skyline was ok but the 35 mph speedl limit wasn't, liked the bludge ridge parkway better and speed limit was 45, and yes the park rangers do enforce it, there are to closures between boone,and blowing rock but detour was well marked, and some road construction in another area but had one heck of a trip you will enjoy it, be carful enjoy the view but keep you eyes on the road as they say, and watch some of the turns they are well marked for the slower speed.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:48 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

We did a HD Forums ride the skyline drive a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yul-CG_dnL0

Old 07-02-2009, 10:40 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Olde Skool
Most of the Maggie Valley/Cherokee area is dry so get yer refreshments before stopping for the night!
Maggie Valley isn't dry, or at least you can get beer and wine in restaurants and beer in stores. Can't say for Cherokee, though.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:57 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

It took about 2 1/2 days for me & the wife to do it but we stopped a lot since we were on vac. and in no hurry. We stayed in Govt. campgrounds along the BRP and had a great trip! Enjoy the ride!