Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:41 AM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Leaving tomorrow for my trip down the BRP....

Can not wait!!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:56 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Default Chicago to Knoxville...Lovin every minute of it!!!!!!!

Im leaving Sat.Morning...Rock and Roll-On....Lookin forward to the "CherryCola Highway".I will keep an eye out for all you guys!!!!! :-) ....Ride Safe my Friends.....R.W.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 349 Posts

4 of us are heading down to Two Wheel Inn in Robbinsvile NC July 9th taking two days (really a day and a half) to get there. Staying Thur-Fri doing the tail and area sights then leaving Sat morning heading home via the BRP planning two night stops arriving home Monday 13th...wish I had more time but that's all we could get.
I Can't Wait!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 AM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has been really interesting to read and thanks to all those that posted helpful information. We've got a group of 15 bikes (20 people) that will be riding the BRP in mid June. We are doing the autotrain from FL to VA and then taking a 9 day ride back to FL. Only 3 weeks until we leave and I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Olde Skool
The BRP speed limit is 45 mph most of the way but slower in some places, don't push it much or one of the Park Rangers fwill give you a Performance Award!! Google the Parkway and check out the road closures, there are several and are scheduled to be completed soon. FWIW, call the Parkway Headquarters (828-271-4779) and tell them you are planning to ride your bike. They will gladly send you a map and a bunch of other stuff...Ask 'em for a list of scenic overlooks, access roads, and ANY other literature they have that will assist you.

When you get to Maggie Valley, check out the Travelowes Motel. http://www.travelowes.com/ Nice and clean, biker friendly, and won't break the bank.

I feel certain you wanna ride the Dragon...Check out the Hellbender 28, Cherahala Skyway (don't have their number but they sent me maps and other info also), but stay the hellouta Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge unless you like stop and go traffic (with the emphasis on stop). Most of the Maggie Valley/Cherokee area is dry so get yer refreshments before stopping for the night!

Have ya figured out the Zumo 450 yet?
I called the number you posted above for the Parkway Hdqtrs and asked for everything they could send me. I got a great packet from them. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,129 Likes on 3,661 Posts

Frida 6:00 am leaving Goldsboro NC up to fancy gap ....down the BRP for a while then the hard twisties to Marion NC ofr the night then Saturday will put around 600 miles hopefully....ride a while SUnday some twisty backroads then back home unless we get a wild hair to spend another night.....

Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Volfan615
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Frida 6:00 am leaving Goldsboro NC up to fancy gap ....down the BRP for a while then the hard twisties to Marion NC ofr the night then Saturday will put around 600 miles hopefully....ride a while SUnday some twisty backroads then back home unless we get a wild hair to spend another night.....
You going to ride SR80 from the Parkway to Marion? I took 80 last summer to get back over to the parkway around the detour. I must say I wasn't ready for the last hairpin turn.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:18 AM
Jukebox
Road Master

We are heading out on the 22nd June,we have to stop for 2-3 days in Hattiesburg,but after that we are heading uo to the south end of the parkway and plan on spending around 8-9 days exploring the parkway and it surrounding areas.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,129 Likes on 3,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Volfan615
You going to ride SR80 from the Parkway to Marion? I took 80 last summer to get back over to the parkway around the detour. I must say I wasn't ready for the last hairpin turn.
80 is nice..My wife loved it both ways...209 out of Hot Springs to Maggie Valley is nice too...there are too many roads that we have loaded on the garmins between 4 of us to list...we just improvise on the fly for most part...One of the guys that rides with us is 64 and has been going up at least once every 2 months for the past 4 years and once a month as a dare for the past year...He has a 2004 Goldwing and has 145000 miles on it....he retired at 54...Lucky S.O.B.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Jukebox
Road Master

I found out the hard way about the wind gusts on Grandfather Mount. Blowing so hard they ripped my shield right off the bike,sitting still. Beware the winds at the very top. Park at Blakc Rock and walk the 1/4mi up to the top. I had to make a emergency trip to the dealer. Lucky for me he had a take off for 1/2 price. Thanks CrossRoads H-D for the shield.

Quick Reply: Blue Ridge Parkway