Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:54 PM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live a couple of miles from the BRP. It is a scenic and sweet ride. The poster that averaged about 25+ miles a hour is about right, especially if it's anything but sunny and clear. Very nice if you have the time. BUT...if you are trying to get anywhere on a timetable don't take the BRP, or at least don't take it all the way. When it gets foggy and rainy up there it can seem like you are going backwards and time keeps ticking.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:21 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey you guys are the best. Thanks for all your input. We are having a great time here pouring over your info. We are going down with 2 other couples and have rented a 4 bedroom place in the Maggie Valley area. We will be taking extra time getting to MV and then using it as a base.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,131 Likes on 7,344 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
Hey you rednecks , this yankee is headed south to Maggie Valley this summer and hope to be able to go there via the BRP. What I need to know is how much time should we allow to do this part of the ride justice?
Thanks for the warning!

We'll close the gate and turn off the light!

I would not plan to be in any hurry at all on the BRP. Cruise at 45 MPH and stop as often as possible and take in the sights. There are plently of exits off with gas and food. My favorite stop is "Stations Inn" Motorcycle Resort. Be sure and plan to stay a while and visit and try the Mountain Dew Chicken.

Enjoy the ride

Bubba

Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
Hey you guys are the best. Thanks for all your input. We are having a great time here pouring over your info. We are going down with 2 other couples and have rented a 4 bedroom place in the Maggie Valley area. We will be taking extra time getting to MV and then using it as a base.
Since you're gonna be in the area a while........Go north of Asheville on the BRP about 30 miles. Find SR-80 & take it down off the mountain. It'll take you east of Black Mountain. You can ride it back up to the BRP, or take 70 back towards Asheville. Either way, tell us how many times you pass your own tail light on SR-80.........8^)

Old 05-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good advice here about the BRP. We're headed down to Raleigh, NC this week and will be doing part of the BRP either headed south or on the return trip, depending on the weather. We've done the BRP a number of times.

You can pick up the Skyline Drive in Front Royal. Nice ride and you should do it at least once but the speed limit is 35 mph. If you do the Skyline Drive one way, a nice alternate route between Front Royal and Waynesboro is Rte 340 through the Shenandoah Valley. It's not twisty but it's beautiful country and a lot better ride than I-81. We rode through PA on Rte 522 (also a pretty good ride) and picked up Rte 340 near Front Royal.

We avoid the interstates, especially I-81 through PA!

Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Jukebox
Road Master

The wife and I are taking this trip in June. Coming from TX stopping in Hattiesburg MS to stay a few night with my daughter before we head out for the Tail. From there we are planning on getting on the BRP on the south end and going as far as Amherst VA. We are planning on taking about 2wks. so we can camp and see as much as possible. Any good places to camp,eat,or even any Inns to stay at would be really good.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

We are headed down the first two weeks of June and will be our first trip, will be watching this thread for more good input about the area, besides Maggie Valley, we plan on touring the Biltmore Manor, I hear there is a motorcycle museum in Maggie Vally, anyone know anything about it? We are coming with 3 other couples and are waiting for the next three weeks to get over with so we can be on our way.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

tagged, I've been posting about this in the Southeast forum...

Old 05-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From Cherokee go over Newfound gap (441) toward Gatlinburg. Dont go all the way into Gatlinburg, instead turn west at the Park headquarters taking Little River Road (old 73) through Townsend and take Foothills Pkwy to 129, then back to NC through Deals Gap to 28 and 19 back to Maggie Valley. Check out Wheels Through Time while your there. Cherohala Skyway is 165 between Robbinsville, NC and Telllico Plains, TN.

Click here and zoom out for a good map.

Cades Cove is nice too if your into old settlement type stuff.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 AM
don juan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four of us heading there in july. Should have at least a full 2 weeks in the area . For week trip all total.
don juan

Quick Reply: Blue Ridge Parkway