Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker Unfriendly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biker Unfriendly?

Just got back from a South Carolina ride. Went to Myrtle Beach to see whats happening for bike week and then to Darlington for the Friday night race. Myrtle Beach cops out in full force and the news had a cop on that said if your mufflers aren't stock "you'll be ticketed". They even have their own helmet law even though SC is a no helmet state. Then we get to Darlington and they didn't want the bikes in the track parking. So we had to park outside the track and walk in. I was thinking this is pretty biker unfriendly state until seen the cops riding Honda's. Maybe its just Harley's they have a problem with.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:28 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually...While Myrtle Beach is unfriendly to us...the county surrounding and North Myrtle want us with their arms open! Don't gauge Bike week in that area based on the what that city does! Plenty of other places than the city proper! Most of the vendors weren't even in the city anyway...and now they can't be! I dont' know what's up with Darlington tho. Let me check on it!

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been the last 2 years and had a great time, but this year doing Laconia, they actually want us there. Seems like too much hassle dealing with Myrtle Beach anymore, it's really too bad for the business people that actually want us.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We went to bike week a few years back ... and swore we wouldn't do that again.

We discovered during a run down the keys that Floridians (at least the hotels/motels) don't like bikers ... period! Couldn't get a hotel rooms to save our lives. We even took it up a few notches ... ask for a room then being told the place was full ... Even though the Vacancy sign was lit... and EVEN though, while we still lingered outside the lobby ... motorists would drive up, walk in and walk out with room keys only moments later. This happened numerous times. Funny how that happens? Happened too often to be a coinkidink.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikergirl40
... motorists would drive up, walk in and walk out with room keys only moments later. This happened numerous times. Funny how that happens? Happened too often to be a coinkidink.
You may have observed people with reservations.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
Cool

While I don't approve of discrimination against motorcycles...and I don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest....and everyone has the freedom to do as they wish......But
We've done this to ourselves....obnoxious loud exhaust, sitting at red lights revving the bike, roaring away from stops, burnouts, too much of a good thing...people are getting tired of all this, and now we're paying the price....

Do I like it, NO....but that's the hard truth.
Now I'm sure a lot are going to log on and say I'm wrong, and I wish I was...but the proof is in the lack of more and more Hotels and places wanting motorcycles....

Old 05-09-2009, 10:39 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. I'm personally sick and tired of hearing that we should be blaming our collective selves for all of this.

2. If these towns don't want bikes and what comes with it, don't go there. Lots of other places to have a great time.

3. Lawn mowers and dump trucks are loud too.

Peace. UW

Originally Posted by Casper
While I don't approve of discrimination against motorcycles...and I don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest....and everyone has the freedom to do as they wish......But
We've done this to ourselves....obnoxious loud exhaust, sitting at red lights revving the bike, roaring away from stops, burnouts, too much of a good thing...people are getting tired of all this, and now we're paying the price....

Do I like it, NO....but that's the hard truth.
Now I'm sure a lot are going to log on and say I'm wrong, and I wish I was...but the proof is in the lack of more and more Hotels and places wanting motorcycles....

Old 05-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Bar_Hopper
Tourer

man ive been hearing all kinds of bad things about myrtle beach! they must really be screwing up over there! thats not going to help out their tourism rates by shutting out all of the bikers

Old 05-09-2009, 10:42 PM
becket
Advanced

In north Florida, there are hoards of bikes and bikers, and the locals not only love them, but many ride as well. Stick north of Melbourne between New Smyrna, and up through Daytona and Saint Augustine. Bikers always welcome!
South Florida is a whole nuther' state; some love that lifestyle and melting pot and thats great for them; but as far as biker heaven, well...

Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

1. I'm personally sick and tired of hearing that we should be blaming our collective selves for all of this.

2. If these towns don't want bikes and what comes with it, don't go there. Lots of other places to have a great time.

3. Lawn mowers and dump trucks are loud too.
1. Me too, but that's they way they think and "they" own the hotels.

2. True, you can protest with your wallet...don't go..

3. True again, but everyone has a lawnmower and they need dump trucks.

I've also heard that some police agency was test bikes with the DB meter and found that their city firetruck was over the limit...but I don;t think it would matter.

Quick Reply: Biker Unfriendly?