Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1K oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 06:38 PM
notarheli
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1K oil change

Okay, I've read post upon post, reply upon reply. I don't even want this to get into a "my oil is better than your oil" post. I have decided that I want to stick to one brand to make purchasing and storing easier. Hence, I decided on the Mobil products. From my reading, I see the syn V-twin is excellent for the Engine. I also see the 75/90 Mobil syn gear lube is excellent for the tranny. However, there appears to be some discontinuity with the primary. Is V-twin perfectly suitable for the primary? Is there a better Mobil oil to use in the Primary than V-twin? I put this in the touring section to purposely try and keep the question from getting out of hand.

Barry
06 EG Classic

Old 05-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Loch
Tourer
Default RE: 1K oil change

Yes you can run the V-Twin in the primary. Its a little overkill for what that fluid actually does, which is lube the chain and cool the clutch. Some say they get a better clutch feel running non-synthetic oil in the primary. I will be running the following at my next oil change.

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 in the engine (or Mobil 1 15w-50 automotive gold cap)
Mobil 10w-40 in the primary (non-synthetic)
Mobil 1 75w-90 Gear Lube in the Transmission

Old 05-09-2006, 06:55 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I use V-Twin in my motor too. I read the bazillion posts in the oil section and found this to be a Ford, Chevy, Dodge type debate. Here's what I've gleaned from all the rhetoric... Pick your favorite brand for the motor (V-Twin for me), I went with HD Formula + in the primary because of the many who've said that it contains special modifiers for the clutch, then went with Red Line Shockproof Heavy in the Trans. For the motor, I've had HD Dino, then went to Syn3 and now to V-twin. My experience seems to be V-Twin runs a little cooler and appears to be more quite running (less valvetrain noise). As for the primary, I've used HD Dino, then Syn 3, now HD Formula plus and can't honestly say I've noticed a difference between any of them. The tranny is a different story. Started with HD Dino and it seemed OK. I switched to Syn 3 and found the shifts to be noisier and more clunky. So, I then switched to Royal Purple 75w90 gear oil and it was quieter than the Syn 3 definately. Most recently switched over to the Red Line Shockproof Heavy and really noticed a difference there! Much quieter shifting - way less clunk. So that's where I'm staying.... Engine: V-Twin, Primary: Formula+, Trans: Shockproof Heavy.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

Sorry Guys, but I am biased toward Amsoil! The best oil I ever used! Plus, you have up to double the oil change interval. No Mobil product for me. No flame here. Just IMO.

ORIGINAL: dforeid

I use V-Twin in my motor too. I read the bazillion posts in the oil section and found this to be a Ford, Chevy, Dodge type debate. Here's what I've gleaned from all the rhetoric... Pick your favorite brand for the motor (V-Twin for me), I went with HD Formula + in the primary because of the many who've said that it contains special modifiers for the clutch, then went with Red Line Shockproof Heavy in the Trans. For the motor, I've had HD Dino, then went to Syn3 and now to V-twin. My experience seems to be V-Twin runs a little cooler and appears to be more quite running (less valvetrain noise). As for the primary, I've used HD Dino, then Syn 3, now HD Formula plus and can't honestly say I've noticed a difference between any of them. The tranny is a different story. Started with HD Dino and it seemed OK. I switched to Syn 3 and found the shifts to be noisier and more clunky. So, I then switched to Royal Purple 75w90 gear oil and it was quieter than the Syn 3 definately. Most recently switched over to the Red Line Shockproof Heavy and really noticed a difference there! Much quieter shifting - way less clunk. So that's where I'm staying.... Engine: V-Twin, Primary: Formula+, Trans: Shockproof Heavy.