Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin 660 on meh bike :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:41 AM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Volfan615
To me the 660 sounds like a down grade from the 550. I think I will be sticking with the 550.
Thats kinda my thoughts as well, looks like the 550 fits my needs a little better.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 AM
bjryman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main reason I installed the 550 was to have the XM radio available in the same unit, in one place on the bike. XM has been a really great feature for me as I don't need to go channel surfing on trips outside local area.

If you don't listen to tunes at all, then you don't care about the 550. If you do, it's great. Remember, once you are moving there is not much you should need to do with the unit..too distracting. Additional options to finesse the GPS portion may not get used while you are moving.

Still, I do like the wide screen, I think. Though, wider does mean more handle bar space left and right taken up, including potential for a bit of hiding of the dashboard

Oh well, live is a series of tradeoffs anyway

Old 05-09-2009, 12:25 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not into XM/sirus radio so not a deal breaker for me, sorry not into paying for someone else's play list monthly. Have my ipod, I don't use the radio or cd of the HD HK unit.. both sux... but anyways. Tho I could put my ipod away and load my mp3s onto the Garmin, I haven't done this yet, just installed it yesterday.

Unit itself is awesome, totally usable with gloves on. The other riders with us last night with the really small screen Quests were saying they should upgrade at sight of the garmin 660. I don't know if 550 owners should upgrade as the 550 is a very nice unit as well.

While riding the screen is very bright and readable in direct sunlight... tho at night it's like spotting one of them DVD players in the back of a minivan while passing. Know what I mean when I say that?

Has a built in speaker and tells me when I get a cellphone call and can call and answer from the garmin unit itself. Linked to my iphone 3g just fine.

Turning the ignition on automatically starts the Garmin, takes about 10seconds to boot up. Still messing with it learning about features...lots of them.

One of Garmin's headquarters is right down the road from me and I know someone who works there, so that's how I got mine.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:15 PM
flyslow
Road Captain

Installed mine and went out on a short ride. Pulled up the data screen when I got home and was amazed to see this for max speed in miles per hour . . .

I guess a good dyno tuner is worth their weight in gold!

Attached Thumbnails Garmin 660 on meh bike :)-whisperglide-zumo-660-screenshot.jpg  

Last edited by flyslow; 05-09-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: better pic
Old 05-09-2009, 07:11 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice... 168 miles per hour? LOL

Garmin has a software update 2.80 version available...
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/do...=135&pID=15000

Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 PM
tbrown2
Cruiser

I have been looking at this and the 550. Can the new 660 be wired into the HD radio so you can hear it in helmet speakers?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You might want to consider wiring it directly to your battery because it gets old fast having to wait for the unit to reboot each time you start, and sometimes you'll want it to be on after you turn off the motor, like checking a route on the side of the road, etc.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:01 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

Unit takes around 10 seconds to boot up... and not Mississippi seconds... hehe

Besides unit will stay on if I push a screen button for it to stay on when I turn the bike off or in 30seconds it will turn off.

660 has bluetooth, so if your helmet speakers are bluetooth.. sure
Otherwise the 660 ships with audio out on the unit and a mini usb, mini mic plug, a audio out plug on the power cord(base unit attached)....
Am sure you can wire it up for your needs.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Bar_Hopper
Tourer

looks good. i could still manage to get lost on my bike. i have this problem of just driving around aimlessly, even if i have somewhere to go

Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

It's nice to have the newest toys out buy I think I'll wait a few months until the prices drop down........

Quick Reply: Garmin 660 on meh bike :)