Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Tour pack w/lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:49 PM
MarkDaddy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Glide Tour pack w/lights

Just picked up a used tour pack from an 07 Ultra to mount on my 09 Streeet glide, Mounted up with no problem, but now I could use some help
with hooking up the lights. My local dealer wasn't much help, I even talked
to a technician there and he came out and showed me a plug under the fuse box near the OBD plug, but when I got home an threw a test light on that plug there was nothing there. Any info to help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:20 PM
f35099
Intermediate

Should be a three wire connector with Black, Blue and Red with Yellow stripe wires to power the tour pak lights. It's normally on the left side between the seat and the frame back by the shock mount.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Check with Harleypingman HDF member he set me up!! Good Luck. R.W.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

An important difference between the Ultra the tour pak came from and the SG it is now on is that the Ultra used the tour pak harness on the bike to provide power and ground for the tour pak lights. On your SG, that tour pak harness is what the LED in your rear fender facia is connected to, at least all SG's through the '08 model year; haven't checked an '09.

You can create a Y-harness to connect your facia LED and the tour pak lights to the tour pak harness currently used by the facia LED. Or, you can unplug the facia LED, use the tour pak harness for the tour pak lights, and use the circuit board behind the tail light lens for the facia LED (which is how HD provides power/ground to the tri-bar light/fender extension accessory sold to non-SG touring bike owners.
If you use the tail light circuit board, you can splice the facia LED wires into the two wires plugged into the upper left chamber. You will be splicing into the tail light LED lights that illuminate your license plate.

If you don't already have one, buy the HD Service Manual. These things aren't explained in it, but it's useful for the wiring diagrams and connectors you will be encountering.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:10 PM
speedkillsu2
Advanced

The rear facia LED connector and the connector for the tour pak are not the same connector. The tour pak connector is buried deep in the wires in front of the battery and the facia connector is on the left side frame near the battery. I use both connections on my '07 SG.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by speedkillsu2
The rear facia LED connector and the connector for the tour pak are not the same connector. The tour pak connector is buried deep in the wires in front of the battery and the facia connector is on the left side frame near the battery. I use both connections on my '07 SG.
Is the one you are referring to "buried deep in the wires in front of the battery" a four wire connector? I believe it probably is and what you are referring to is the accessory connector. Did you install the tour pak and hook-up the wiring or did a previous owner or dealership do the work?

The accessory connector is another wiring option for the original poster, but not very convenient if you want to remove the tour pak from the bike unless a quick disconnect coupling is added. And he would need to change the connector on the light harness and provide lengthy wires.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:57 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Use the one in front of the battery in the belly of the bike. It's close to the aux power.
It took forever to find it. If you look at the service manual, it will help you locate it.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:51 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You didn't mention if you are running a quick detach or permanent tour pack setup.
This would make it very easy to hook up your lights either way.
http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/qc...er_adapter.htm
This setup has all the connections clearly tagged and the wiring color codes are correct.
The plug also has the directional wires if you wanted to custom wire the tour pack for directional capabilities also.
Just mounts in-line to the rear fender wiring under the seat , very easy to do.
Welcome to the forum.
Mick

Old 05-10-2009, 06:10 PM
speedkillsu2
Advanced

I installed a detachable tourpack with a LED spoiler. The wiring came with a connector which has 4 wires so I connected it to what must be called the accessory connector in front of the battery. There is a separate connector for the facia LED.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by speedkillsu2
I installed a detachable tourpack with a LED spoiler. The wiring came with a connector which has 4 wires so I connected it to what must be called the accessory connector in front of the battery. There is a separate connector for the facia LED.
Thanks for the response. Yes, your tour pak spolier LED, as does mine, uses a four-wire Deutsch connector to plug into the accessory connector. The Ultra tour pak light bar and side lights have a harness, however, that connects to the tour pak wiring harness that your Street Glide uses for the facia LED.

On my bike (with the SG facia LED, Ultra tour pak lights, and tour pak spoiler LED), keeping the tour pak detachable forced me to consider alternative wiring solutions. What I did was to use a Y-connector inside the Tour Pak. The stock Ultra lights use one end of the Y, and I added the necessary connector to the spoiler LED wires (instead of using the Deutsch connector and accessory connector under the seat) to use the other end of the Y for the spoiler LED; the bike's tour pak harness is connected to the Y to power the tour pak lights and spoiler lights. (If you buy HD's new Air Wing luggage rack with the LED lights in it, the kit comes with the Y-harness I described; that's what I used after a friendly HD tech gave one to me. Since it's a part in a kit, you could probably get the part number from that kit and buy the Y-harness rather than make one.)

Because the tour pak harness is used for the tour pak and not the SG facia LED, I initially wired the facia LED to the two wires that are used by the SG turn signal bar for the LED's that provide the license plate light. The wires are behind the tail light lens in the upper left chamber of the circuit board. The socket used by the license plate has provision for thee wires (ground, brake, and run), so when I did the LED project in the facia LED I added a third wire for the brake light function.

Here's a pic of my bike (before recently completed paint project) with the tour pak installed:

http://

Grateful that HD has a good Service Manual with wiring diagrams and a parts book for the bike that let's me know what parts are needed for these non-standard situations.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 05-10-2009 at 06:56 PM.