Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update #6--Paint Project--Bike Assembled

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Super job, great color

Old 05-08-2009, 09:39 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's one sweet looking machine now. Time to ride it like you stole it. Great Job!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by frittsk
Is it noticeably brighter than the stock one?
Absolutely. I'll try to get a side-by-side pic of a stock SG and post pics.

For anyone wanting to read the previous updates, this is the link to Update #5 with the links for the previous updates in that thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-project.html

Looks like the painting of the rest of the parts will occur next week-end, but in the meantime I'll be riding.

Rather than do a separate thread, I'll post here the non-paint work that I did while the bike was apart:

1. Vehicle alignment per Method A in the HD Service Manual using PhilM's HD tool (thanks to PhilM for loaning it to me). Frankly, anyone who buys front motor mount products without first doing the vehicle alignment may be missing the real cause of any problems.

2. Replace front motor mount. With 53K miles on the bike, figured now was a good time to replace the original with an OEM replacement.

3. Replace clutch cable. Again, 53K on the original so replaced with original.

4. Replace stock calipers and rotors with Brembo silver calipers and '08 OEM rotors. Easy swap but not enough miles to tell how much better these are compared to the OEM calipes.

5. Install HD chrome front-end kit. Had the dealer swap the guts from my stock lowers rather than try to mess with the cartridge.

6. Install HD chrome axle cover kit. Simple clam shell design, but wouldn't fit over the chrome axle retainer nuts in the chrome front end kit, so reinstalled the stock retainer nuts.

7. Install HOG POD tweeters. Very neat product and easy install, except for removing the stock connectors on the speakers--those suckers were unbelieveably tight--on the Hog Tunes speakers. Brilliant product that works and looks great color-matched to the inner fairing.

8. Replace fuel filter canister. Scary (for me, at least) because of the obtuse directions in the Service Manual, the bizarre conconction of parts that make-up the assembly, and the instructions make it clear this is not a simple remove and drop-in procedure.

9. Install HOG TUNES fair lower speaker kit. Since I don't have the fairing lowers back from paint, nothing to report.

10. Replace police model interconnect harness with civilian interconnect harness. Basically, this makes the wiring inside the fairing on my bike identical to what's inside a police model EG. I already had the civilian handlebar switches and housings so that part was easy, though routing the interconnect harness required reference to pics of civilian bikes.

11. Replace LED board in SG facia LED housing with LED strips from Custom Dynamics and wire it for run AND brake light functions.

12. Fill-in antenna holes on SG facia and cover bolt head at bottom of rear fender.

Sounds like a lot of work and it probably is, but doing it over almost three months make it seem less so.

Thanks, again, for the compliments on the "new" bike. Hope to get the rest of the painted parts on the bike soon and take some new pics to post and add to the gallery.

This project stemmed from my intial interest in getting a new bike and looking at lots of them. But, along the way, I realized that whatever I bought, I'd add whatever was already on my current bike to the new one if that feature wasn't on the new bike already. The light bulb went off and I realized I really liked my current bike, but wanted it a different color.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 PM
tmblweed
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice..I'm a big fan of red.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
This project stemmed from my intial interest in getting a new bike and looking at lots of them. But, along the way, I realized that whatever I bought, I'd add whatever was already on my current bike to the new one if that feature wasn't on the new bike already. The light bulb went off and I realized I really liked my current bike, but wanted it a different color.
I like that reasoning...sweet lookin wheels...big job for sure.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:25 PM
frittsk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pingman,

I am having several of the same mods done on my '06 FLHX right now. The painter has had my sheet metal for a few weeks now and is filling in the holes in the rear fender filler and filling in the bolt divet in the rear fender. Can't wait to get everything back, hopefully next weekend.

I am thinking about doing the LED mod you did on the tri-bar light. Anxious to see your pictures when you get time to post them.

Are you going to put your saddle bag spoilers back on? Just wondering if you have ever looked into replacement LEDs for these. I eliminated my turn signals and use the saddle bag spoiler lights as run, brake and turn (thanks to you for the wiring mods on the module). They aren't very bright and I would like to find some way to make them brighter.

Again, love your bike and as others have said, I would stick with the solid red. That is an awesome color. Maybe a some discreet pin stripes or accents. IMO it would be a shame to cover up that red.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

frittsk: No, I'm not going to put the spoiler LED's on the saddlebags. I sold the police bags they were on and thought about getting some new ones. Honestly, I was never sold on them from an appearance standpoint, and the LED's don't provide much additional light IMO. Having the LED in the SG facia function as a brake light and run light made the decision (from a light on the back of the bike visibility/safety point of view) pretty easy to not install the saddlebag spoiler LED's.