Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update #6--Paint Project--Bike Assembled

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

MassHD: Disassembing and reassembling the bike wasn't difficult, just tedious. I used freezer zip lock bags of a couple of different sizes to keep parts together; for example, all the nuts, screws, etc. for the saddlebags were in a freezer bag. If I removed a bolt (for example, the Torx bolt that secures the front of the rear fender to the frame), I reinstalled it in the frame after removing the fender so it would be there when reinstalling the fender. Also, it didn't require special tools, except, perhaps for the torque wrenches for reinstalling fasteners per the Service Manual's specs.

The freezer bags and some pics taken with the digital camera worked extremely well. Frankly, I was surprised how smoothly the parts went back on the bike.

The only frustrating aspect was a maintenance task: changing the fuel filter canister inside the gas tank. The console pod assembly, as it's called IIRC, is the most bizarre assembly of parts (fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel level sender, etc.) and has to be pulled out of the tank and pushed back into it following instructions that were obtuse to me.

I did have a couple of "OOPS" moments. Like installing the idiot light harness upside down so when I checked to see if it was installed correctly by turning on the left turn signal, the right turn signal lit in the idiot light--aptly named in my case. It was an easy fix to reach inside the inner fairing and orient it correctly.

Another "OOPS" moment was when I was assembling the fairing cap with its switches and was convinced that the brackets used to mount the switches were missing. I was so convinced that I actually ordered replacements at the local HD store, only to find later that evening that the brackets were still on the switches.

Yet a third "OOPS" moment was more public. During my maiden ride today the left saddlebag latch kept popping open. I've read about this problem on HDF so I asked a tech at the local dealership if there is a fix. He went to his tool chest and came back with a pair of needle nose pliers and took a look behind the latch. Next thing he did was ask me for my bike key (which threw me 'cause I had no idea why he'd need my bike key to fix a spring, etc.) and proceeded to show me that when I'd assembled the saddlebag I'd set the lock in the locked position so the latch couldn't latch properly. We had a good laugh at my expense for that one.

Talked to Brandon the painter this afternoon and he may be painting my other parts tomorrow. If so, I'm looking forward to installing the fairing lowers with the Hog Tunes spakers mounted in them this week-end.

Meanwhile, thanks for the compliments; I will pass them along to Brandon and Mike for their fine paint work.

For me, I'm pleased that I was able to do so much of the work, and especially pleased that filling in the antenna holes in the SG facia and covering the bolt head at the bottom of the fender turned out so well.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by frittsk
Pingman, how did the tri-bar light mod work out?
It works, but I need to clean up the installation a bit because of the added wiring and limited space between the tail light lens and circuit board.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:07 AM
frittsk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it noticeably brighter than the stock one?

Old 05-08-2009, 05:19 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Looks great..cool to see a local dealer in pics, Killer Creek

Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking scoot. Until the Ultra all my bikes have been one shade of red or another, that HOK looks really sharp!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Once again you've really hit the mark Carl. Nice work for sure!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

What a transformation !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks really great. Great job on doin' your own wrenching too.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:18 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nice .. doing the work yourself is cool.. I changed the drive belt on my 99 (rock went through it) and did it myself with the manual.. it feels good knowing you did it

Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Bobzilla
Road Captain

Daaam Carl aw some job that looks Great cant wait to see some more pics when your done congratulation's

Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 AM
dredy2g
Tourer

way to go nice paint

Quick Reply: Update #6--Paint Project--Bike Assembled