Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary case oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:51 AM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary case oil?

Ok Guys,

I'd like your thoughts on a seal failure I had. It is the primary chain case seal. I had changed the chain case oil a while back and put in the correct amount of oil. Then about 5,000 miles later I was changing the engine oil and noticed a leak from that seal. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced it under warrenty. So far all is good. Then at the next oil change I noticed it is leaking again. Does not drip on floor or anything but just when riding. So last night after making an appointment to have it done again I figured I would check it so I get the cover off and although it is on the jiffy stand the oil is so full its almost over the edge. The manual states that not to over fill it as it could cause some issues like hard finding neutral etc.

My thought is could over filling the case cause the seal to leak? Just wondering......

Thanks

Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by The Old Man
....although it is on the jiffy stand the oil is so full its almost over the edge.
You have to check it with the bike straight up. If you don't have a jack, put some wood blocking under the jiffy stand or have someone hold it up. The level should be so that it just covers the bottom of the clutch basket. Checking on the jiffy is going to make it go over the edge as you described.