Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help removing clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:22 AM
justinmark79
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help removing clutch cable

I am swapping my bars to 14in apes and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what parts and or part numbers I will need to replace my clutch cable on my 08 FLHRC? Also does anyone have any tricks as to how to get the old cable off.

Thanks very much.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:23 AM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 14" chubbys on my 07 FLHRC a while back and you'll need either +6" or +8" on the new clutch cable length. I went +6 to keep close to bar contour, some like more loop at top of bar, either should work. Removing and installing is no big deal. Just losen clutch cable, pull pin and remove from lever. If your not draining tranny and changing fluid, you'll need to roll bike on some 2x6s to increase lean angle when you drop on jiffy. This way you can pull clutch cover plate without losing all your tranny fluid. I found it easier to just change the fluid. Have a new gasket incase you need it for the cover. Cable just loops of clutch ramp arm, you'll see. I always get enough bend in cable to remove old and catch new without breaking apart ramp and bearings.

Toughest part I always found was starting threads of new cable into clutch housing cover...PITA, especially with tranny fluid all over your hands.

No biggie.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:45 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

My dealers service department loosens the threads on the adjusting link all the way out. Then removes the cable from the handlebar end, instead of removing the tranny cover.

This is of course for removing the fairing. Not changing the cable.

Last edited by rocknrod; 05-07-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ezlife
I put 14" chubbys on my 07 FLHRC a while back and you'll need either +6" or +8" on the new clutch cable length. I went +6 to keep close to bar contour, some like more loop at top of bar, either should work. Removing and installing is no big deal. Just losen clutch cable, pull pin and remove from lever. If your not draining tranny and changing fluid, you'll need to roll bike on some 2x6s to increase lean angle when you drop on jiffy. This way you can pull clutch cover plate without losing all your tranny fluid. I found it easier to just change the fluid. Have a new gasket incase you need it for the cover. Cable just loops of clutch ramp arm, you'll see. I always get enough bend in cable to remove old and catch new without breaking apart ramp and bearings.

Toughest part I always found was starting threads of new cable into clutch housing cover...PITA, especially with tranny fluid all over your hands.

No biggie.
Right on the money. One thing I found out the hard way. If you are going to put it on a 2X6 and your motor is cold you need to wait for oil to drain back into tranny. Also I couldn't get the cable started in the housing. I brought it to the dealer and they ran the threads in and installed the cable for me.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing I would add, is always, always replace the gasket. Cheapest part you can buy, and it's simply not worth it if the old gasket is corrupt, which will be if you loosen the cover.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 AM
gibby122
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezlife

No biggie.
+6 on the clutch cable. did you need +6 on the throttle cables too? What about the break line and wireing? Im thinking of going from 10" to 14".

Old 05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you replace a clutch cable without pulling the trans cover? Something I don't know?

You will need another gasket for the trans cover and trans fluid. As stated above, loosen the adjuster all the way and remove the pin from the handle. With the cable on the floor laying towards the front of the bike, loosen cable on side cover. Put oil pan under trans side cover. Remove side cover then finish removing cable. Reverse procedure to install new cable.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:28 AM
justinmark79
Intermediate

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll give it a try tonight.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:32 AM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you should need +6 for all cables and the break line....i did mine a while back.......

Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 AM
ezlife
Road Master

Originally Posted by gibby122
+6 on the clutch cable. did you need +6 on the throttle cables too? What about the break line and wireing? Im thinking of going from 10" to 14".
Went +6 on clutch and +8 on idle/throttle. Perfect fit. Brake I don't remember off hand. Wires I just cut as needed to stagger joints while I was extending, probably around 12".

Name:  IMG_0790.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  103.5 KB

Quick Reply: Help removing clutch cable