Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawg-Wired...factory hand controls with aftermarket radios

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawg-Wired...factory hand controls with aftermarket radios

So today I recieved yet another package. While in the past, I normally use the pac swi-jack when i did my bike, or have helped with the countless bikes... now that more and more people want me to do thier bikes, I am going to try and take myself more seriously...lol

anyhow, I have used Hawg-Wired products several times over (especially the radio install kit, part #dc-235 and db-235)... I am going to be installing a JVC Avx-44 head unit tommorow when i get off work (just to kick my weekend off)... I decided to use Hawg-Wired's hand control and radio harness adapter, which allows for plug and play, to wire up the aftermarket radio and hand controls... judging by the looks, it will prob take me about 10 minutes to completely install the jvc and plug in the hand controls, i will time myself... anhow, i will post photos of the radio install and tell how this module works, looks good part #hua360, looks like its well worth the money for a do-it-yourselfer and i will not be using the pac unit again!

came packaged very nicely and I actually ordered the kit that comes with the harness and radio install bezel and cradle, seemed to save a bit ordering it that way...

more on this tom. morning, i go into work in a bit, wont be off till around 8am, so i will stay up and start the install process on the 08 roadglide...

Old 05-06-2009, 09:56 PM
rideshack
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us posted on how it goes. This could open doors to many more options down the road. Just thinking out loud....

Corey

Old 05-06-2009, 10:00 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to gtsdesigns! This is a MOD I'll be making next month when I put the alpine on the bike! Can't wait to read the rest of the story!

Mike

Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 PM
onthelo
Road Master

you hit it right on the money gts i used that pac module for years since early 2000 and now with the hawg wired harness never again. Install time for my pioneer was literally 5 minutes. Since all the speakers are wired threw the amp it was only a few wires..lol And it works seemless with the hand controls i will never ride a bike again without it esp. with how small my **** on the deck is... you forgot to tell everyone how cool that harness really is... That looks to be their new one the one that allows the hold of the "mode" button wich than sends a 12v signal out to an external device such as ex:led lighting. By holding the mode button in for a few seconds will activate and deactivate that external 12v feature. When I was over at hawg wireds facility they were showing it to me it is sweet!! And with the dip switches it makes using deifferent head units very easy.

Here is a pic of mine I installed and also I installed a inside fairing antenna.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by onthelo
you hit it right on the money gts i used that pac module for years since early 2000 and now with the hawg wired harness never again. Install time for my pioneer was literally 5 minutes. Since all the speakers are wired threw the amp it was only a few wires..lol And it works seemless with the hand controls i will never ride a bike again without it esp. with how small my **** on the deck is... you forgot to tell everyone how cool that harness really is... That looks to be their new one the one that allows the hold of the "mode" button wich than sends a 12v signal out to an external device such as ex:led lighting. By holding the mode button in for a few seconds will activate and deactivate that external 12v feature. When I was over at hawg wireds facility they were showing it to me it is sweet!! And with the dip switches it makes using deifferent head units very easy.

Here is a pic of mine I installed and also I installed a inside fairing antenna.
you r right, i was rushing cause i had to get in to work... sitting here at the desk, before i have to go out and work... anyhow, you can use it with a variety of radios... and the extra 12 volt source wire also works to let the hand control dim or brighten the radio i believe, i will have to check it out when i get back home...

Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 AM
onthelo
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gtsdesigns
you r right, i was rushing cause i had to get in to work... sitting here at the desk, before i have to go out and work... anyhow, you can use it with a variety of radios... and the extra 12 volt source wire also works to let the hand control dim or brighten the radio i believe, i will have to check it out when i get back home...
They recomend it for the dimmer, led lighting..i think its only like 300ma or something but it can be hooked up to a relay to run a number of things even compr. for the on board air system! Sick. Let us know how it goes when you install!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:13 AM
dredy2g
Tourer

GT and onthelo will that work with my flhp. I still have the police hand controls

Old 05-07-2009, 12:27 AM
onthelo
Road Master

It says in the book it will work for flhx, flht, fltr...

Old 05-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by dredy2g
GT and onthelo will that work with my flhp. I still have the police hand controls
i dont think so, you would have to have fatory audio controls and the factory harness which comes on our bikes for the radio

Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Ok, had a bit of a rough day at work, cause i wasnt feeling good, so i went home early and frustrated, couldnt sleep, so i went into the garage (headache and all)... anyhow, had to do this

i will write up later and post some picts, but the hand controls work flawlessly and it took about 5 minutes (conservatively) to wire it up, just had to connect 5 wires to the plug for the harness (acc., constant, ground, brake/video, illumination)... the illumination (orange) wire hooked up to the "softswitch" of the harness, which allows the hand controls to dim and brighten the illumination... and flipped one dipswitch on the harness to get the hand controls to work with the JVC (dipswitch #3 to on position).. cant say how much i love how easy that was...

Quick Reply: Hawg-Wired...factory hand controls with aftermarket radios