Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky DBW Throttle.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Sticky DBW Throttle.....

I'm sure I am not the only one experiancing this but while riding, my throttle is "notchy" My throttle grip is positioned correctly in the switch housing. It is the sensor itself that is sticky. I even removed the grip and proved it is. Is there anyway to lubricate the twist sensor or are we stuck with this? Thx..........Rich

Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

I noticed that on my 08 SG. The stealer said it was the thumb screw. Not. When I installed new handlebars I replaced the twist grip sensor PN 32310-08 to make running the wires internally. Sticky problem went away.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Duke of HD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue drove me nutz when riding slow around busy sections of town, here is how I fixed mine......

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=WR&I=LXKC43

Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

What exactly did you oil? The splined plastic piece at the end of your bars? Did this completely eliminate the notchyness (is that really a word? LOL) that I explained....Thx for your responses.....Rich

Old 05-07-2009, 10:34 AM
crewchief25
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had the same thing with my 08 SG. Oiled the twist sensor and it didn't help.
I was thinking it was the grip, grabbing the handle bars or grabbing in the switch housing

Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Be careful what you do with regards to lubricating the throttle sensor in your handlebars.

The sensor is magnetic based, not resistance based. If you lubricate it with something that is electrically conductive, you risk shorting the sensor out.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

friends did that ended up being the throttle housing was binding slightly...when he put new grips on the bike the front brake lever was rotated down to much and slightly binded the throttle....losened the housing and rotated it back up slightly...prob went away...

Old 05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

Scott,
Man, that made alot of sense. Unfortunitly I went out and gave that a try, still notchy. Are most of you experiancing a nice smooth action while twisting your throttle slowly? I'm just curious. On my bike this is quite annoying. If I have to I'll by a new sensor, but not if this is the "norm" Thx.........Rich

Old 05-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Duke of HD
Tourer

Originally Posted by machpilot
friends did that ended up being the throttle housing was binding slightly...when he put new grips on the bike the front brake lever was rotated down to much and slightly binded the throttle....losened the housing and rotated it back up slightly...prob went away...
I tried this to no avail, I pulled the housing off and just put the grip on and you could still feel it sticking. The oil I used has that very small needle point and I was able to get just enough in the friction area to fix the issue. basically the moving inner part is rubbing on the stationary outer part creating the "notchy" feeling. It is mostly felt when trying to feather the throttle at slow speeds. Mine is all better

Old 05-07-2009, 03:55 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Duke of HD
I tried this to no avail, I pulled the housing off and just put the grip on and you could still feel it sticking. The oil I used has that very small needle point and I was able to get just enough in the friction area to fix the issue. basically the moving inner part is rubbing on the stationary outer part creating the "notchy" feeling. It is mostly felt when trying to feather the throttle at slow speeds. Mine is all better
It sounds like you might need to replace the sensor. If I remember correctly neither of the parts is supposed to touch at all, which is where the magnetics come into play. The magnetic fields interact without the need for contact like a resistance based sensor would have. The idea is that if the parts aren't touching, they're less likely to wear out.

Quick Reply: Sticky DBW Throttle.....