Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rekluse Torqdrive clutch upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rekluse Torqdrive clutch upgrade

When I installed the SE103 kit on my 07, I decided perhaps I should upgrade the clutch. However, although the lever pull wasn't bad stock, I definitely did not want a stiffer (more difficult) pull. From what I understood, many of the "easy pull" clutches are only easy at idle, then get very stiff at higher rpms.

So, I decided to try the Rekluse TorqDrive clutch. It uses a novel approach, very light springs and a ramp system using centrifugal force to tighten up the clutch under acceleration. Easy to understand when you install, but not easy for me to explain.

Install was relatively easy, took maybe a couple hours (I am NOT a mechanic).

Works unbelievably well! Clutch pull reduced by 25-30%, plus, grabs "right now" if needed (i.e. the more throttle the more the clutch grabs). Much better take up off the line,and can take lots of throttle, without slipping,. really a joy to use.

http://www.marcparnes.com/Harley_TorqDrive.htm (scroll down the page)

Wish they offered it for my Street Rod

Old 05-06-2009, 11:07 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you are liking it. I'm trying to decide between this one and the AIM VP kit. Seems to be the same principle on both, just a different way to get there.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I did consider the AIM clutch as well. As I understand it, the principle is a bit different from the Torqdrive....uses counterweights or something. From what I heard, it reduces the clutch pull effort fine at idle, but actually requires increased effort at higher RPMs

I wanted easy clutch pull all the time...

Originally Posted by matrix5
Glad to hear you are liking it. I'm trying to decide between this one and the AIM VP kit. Seems to be the same principle on both, just a different way to get there.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the MRC Clutch ramp kit (reduces effort by 50%) w the 103" HD Stiffer Spring w no problems in 20K and it's around $100 vs. $249. HD easy pull clutch kit replaces the ramp also but not the ball bearings and then they use a weaker spring on the clutch side which defeats the purpose of the 103 stiffer spring. You would have thought w 106 years HD engineering could figure out you just need to change the ramp angle (leverage) and use a little larger ball bearings! They do say must be installed by a qualified HD Tech but we've done 5 ( about 1.5-2 hrs.) so far w/o any problems. Sorry it is made in Japan though.