Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Trailer Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 PM
rooster3171
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timberland
Every time I loan a trailer something is broke. Lights, curb shot a wheel, dents in the aluminum, fender ripped off, the list is long. New rule...No I don"t loan my trailer or rent it. IMO, want to keep it nice? Don't loan it or rent it. Few will take care of it as if it was their own, after all "it's a rental". One joker that doesn't have it hitched up right and it comes off the tow vehicle and into oncoming traffic. Who do you think the victim is filing suit against ?
I was thinking of renting to very few select people but I think you guys are right....I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks and I think my mind is made up.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the others, don't rent it out unless you're okay with the damage that will occur. Nothing related to our bikes is cheap, so just chalk it up to another expense that you are willing to pay and keep it for yourself.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

might try and find a good riding partner that can store it for you and allow hiim to use it....

I have a 7X14 and only a select few will be authorized to use it....

Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 AM
Snake1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rule of thumb is " If your gonna loan it, be prepared to lose it ". That goes to property and money. Many times that I get asked to borrow my trailer, I just drive and go with. Then it's on me if something happens. For what these trailers cost, it ain't worth the hassle. I feel your storage building pain. I just built a 40X60. Took care of that issue. JMO

Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a trailer and only rent it to a very small select of buddies. I would never, repeat never, loan mine to a stranger.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

No. Even loaning to buddies can cause problems. Not everyone knows how to pull a trailer correctly.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You said the towing vehicle's insurance covers the trailer. Check with your agent. Up here as soon as it is unattached (on purpose or accident) there is no coverage. A trailer coming unhitched is a real problem.
I own a six by 12 and nobody but me pulls it. Just like my bike and my wife.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I would not rent my trailer out; I would be concerned with the possible liability of renting! If the renter is evolved in an accident; you could be named as a party to the law suit

As a side issue rather than installing conventional wheel chocks I would install a Condor wheel chock .I saw them demoed a Laughlin River Run and wish I knew about Condor when I set my trailer up!

Jim

Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trailer

To late now, but I would have gone with one of those smaller foldup trailers that you could store. I have a 6x9 golf cart trailer and my POA will allow me to store it in the back yard as long as it's not visible from the street.

If doing it all over again, I'd gone with a smaller one bike trailer ( one made just for the bike )

Enclosed is great for hauling stuff but a pain for me ( backing up and storing )
http://www.cycleaccessorystore.com/c...FRAhDQodbR5C0w

Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an inclosed trailor also but I would not rent it out to anyone.

Quick Reply: Need Trailer Advice...