Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear pulley bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:17 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Rear pulley bolts

Can someone let me know what type stainless faster grade to use? I sheared off 2 of the chrome grade 8's? I think what happened is they loosened and then snap! Anyway I want to put it together again with piece of mind. I have alloy steel bolts but am afraid they'll be to brittle? I'd like to use stainless.....

Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 AM
strtglyd07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they shear off agaist the swing arm ?

Old 05-05-2009, 12:46 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tgaetto
Can someone let me know what type stainless faster grade to use? I sheared off 2 of the chrome grade 8's? I think what happened is they loosened and then snap! Anyway I want to put it together again with piece of mind. I have alloy steel bolts but am afraid they'll be to brittle? I'd like to use stainless.....
Yup they probably loosened. Be sure to use red locktite this time.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:47 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 352 Posts

Just curious...do you have a chrome pulley cover? It seems like most of the time when I hear about this happening it's guys that have pulley covers. Just wondering.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:13 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Just curious...do you have a chrome pulley cover? It seems like most of the time when I hear about this happening it's guys that have pulley covers. Just wondering.
Yep, it seems to happen once owners install chrome pulley covers on their belt pulley, or swap tires........Not because of the cover or the new tire, but because they didn't follow good engineering practice when they installed it.

First, buy only covers that come with new chrome plated high grade bolts, then use proper locktite and tightening sequence. Do not use stainless unless you can be certain they are proper grade.

Once installed and properly torqued, don't remove even to install new tire...If your tire shop ain't equiped with modern tire changer that can deal with pulley and rotor attached, then find another tire shop.....most bolts loosen or shear after tire change where pulley and rotor was removed to allow tire swap.

Last edited by oinker02; 05-05-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:19 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No chrome covers here, I am thinking that I did not use red? The wheels have just about 10K on them and I think in combination with the clutch, different gear and new cam which BTW is awesome (hq0034) I stressed the pulley? It appears that the pulley was moving around under load.

I think the fix is to go back to a stock pulley instead of the one that came with the wheels. I had to use a spacer to offset the belt for clearance. So its off to get a new pulley, bolts and tire. Metz 880 has held up well but as long as I am here it too will be changed.

The bolts did loosen and snap. The grade was A574 not 8....

Old 05-05-2009, 09:11 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from Stainless Bolts. The problem is not the bolts (grade 8) it's the installation. Some people think stainless bolts are a step up from grade 8. They are not. I am not entirely sure what grades they come in, but if you have a problem with them you will be sorry. They are a B**** to extract if damaged.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 PM
onthelo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the stock bolts chromed with chrome washers, red loctite and man. torque specs. so far so good. Dont run the stainless I think there tinsel strenght might not be as strong. imo

Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

im no expert but i think grade 5 bolts have higher shear resistance than a grade 8. grade 8 is needed for tensile strength, but the pulley bolts are mostly on shear. also you might check that your bolts are not too long for your hub drill depth, seen it happen with some aftermarket wheels. if the bolt is coming tight and you can still spin the washer you might have this issue.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 AM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a mechanical engineer, please heed my advice.

1. As most have already said, use the proper OEM bolts (go buy them from the dealer).

2. Loctite and torque per service manual.

Don't use any other bolt other than what is specified by Harley.

The OEM bolts are supposed to bend/shear under extreme circumstances before the whole drivetrain gets destroyed. It's called engineered failure.

Quick Reply: Rear pulley bolts