Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide owners – I need an honest opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Road Glide owners – I need an honest opinion

Road Glide owners – I need an honest opinion. I am thinking of maybe changing from a Bat Wing to a Shark Nose fairing.

The one thing I like about the Bat Wing is:
It takes about two minutes and three screws to change windshields.
I use three different shields depending on my mood.
….and I’ve pretty much have fixed the head buffering with the Bat Wing.

Now here is what I need from you Road Glide owners.

I am 6’ with a 32 inseam (a slightly longer torso than normal) and I sit up pretty straight and use a backrest (bad back) to keep from slumping. With the Bat Wing I can still look over my windshields and not have any buffering. Will I be able to do this with a Road Glide?

What size/kind of windshield do you think I will need?

and will I be able to look over it without having any head buffering?
Or will I be looking through a windshield, to eliminate the buffering?

FYI:
If you guys say “I use so and so windshield”. I will need to know your height and if you sit up straight or not. Every windshield thread on here has 20 recommendations about windshield heights, without anyone ever saying how tall they are. A windshield for a guy 5’ 8” is a lot different than a guy 6’ tall.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 AM
deadbug
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched at the end of the year to a rg from a sg and it's alot easier to change the batwing
then the shark nose. You can still do it but I'm not sure that the rubber grommets used
are very forgiving if you keep working them in and out for the frequent changes.

Now I switched to a clearview gt large and it's at eye view for me w/ no buffetting
and I am similar height
I don't plan on changing my shield as often unless someone with more experience here
knows how those grommets hold up

hope this helps

Old 05-05-2009, 09:43 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im 6' 3" and have the Clearview plus 2 windshield. I look over mine by several inches. I feel the wind hitting the top of my head. I dont change my windshield since I dont feel like eating the bugs anymore

Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a 08 RG with a 16" cee baileys euro shield. I also have fairing lowers which help immensely with buffeting. I'm 6'2" and with this combination i have pretty smooth air flow. It's not better than my old ultra by any means but definitly tolerable. If i wasn't so tall i probabably stick with a bat wing bike. The slight handling improvement of the RG is a trade off for less weather protection and buffeting. The windshield well nut design and the rubber weather striping around the windshield is a joke for a expensive bike. All this being said i still love my bike, especially because you don't see as many of them.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 AM
RockyMtnRG
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am 6'1" with a 32" inseam and have a +2 Clearview recurve. The windshield greatly reduced buffeting compared to stock, and is thicker and generally better quality. I highly recommend Clearview. That said, there is still more buffeting on my RG than I have experienced on the batwings I've ridden. The trade-off analysis, for me at least, was better handling and a "roomier" feel on the RG vs. better wind protection on the batwings (less buffeting and your hands are better protected against wind and cold).

I love my bike and will buy another RG when I trade up, but everyone will have a different opinion.

Also note that my windshield measurements likely won't be much good to you if you get an '04 or newer RG, as mine is an '03 (the windshield is mounted at a slightly different angle on the earlier models).

Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
cropsure
Cruiser

I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and I use the Cee Bailey's 15" Euro. I see at least two inches over the top of the shield and it gives excellent wind protection, (no buffeting). And I am usually riding with a backrest so I am sitting up straight. Just my .02.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This is my third Sharkie , so I am partial to 'em .. I am same as you 6' and 32" .. With the stock 15" or so windshield , my nose is about at the edge of the windshield , I get some buffeting , but am fixin to change to a clearview +2 ..

My Tour Glides I had a 2" taller HD windshield , and my eyes were right on the edge of the windshield and to me that was perfect ..

Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

I HAD a CEE BAILEY 16" Euro, great shield, not for me, I NOW have a Clearview +2, Great shield, perfect for me. I also have Hogg Chopp lowers which cuts out 99% of the wind from underneath. I see comfortably OVER the windshield and can easily see 20 feet in front of me without looking through the shield. For the record, I am 6'2",32" inseam, 290 and also use a backrest and tend to sit straight up in the saddle, which by the way is a Mustang vintage solo. I had a batwing bike and also a road king with a detachable fairting. This FLTR is ROCK SOLID in even the windiest conditions. I love it, it is HDs best kept secret.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

i am 5' 8" and i have the clearview 1"over i like the protection i get from it-ride safe

Old 05-05-2009, 12:52 PM
dave7mm
Cruiser

Im 6'6" with a 36 inseam.Running the clearview +2.

I look over the top lip of the shield by about an inch or so.

I dont notice any undue wind butteting.
But I do notice less protection for my hands.
Cold weather and bug hits.

hope this helps
dave

Last edited by dave7mm; 05-05-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Road Glide owners – I need an honest opinion