Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide owners – I need an honest opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 604 Likes on 439 Posts

I'm 5'7" short. I love my roadie also. Its not just for all you tall dudes. I've seen several CVO R.G. FOR 32k. All colors IN MISSOURI AND KANSAS AROUND KANSAS CITY AREA.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

For what it's worth. I've had two Road Glide and now a batwing EG Classic. I got a deal I could not pass up. The windshields on the Road Glides to change are a royal pain in the ***. Been there and done that and more than once. The grommets are the worst design and have extras on hand when you loose on in the fairing. I am just shy of 6' and tried several windshields and always had some form of buffeting. The best ended up hitting just the top of my head with a Klockwerks shield. I cannot stand looking thru a shield. Another issue with buffeting came from under the fairing and I never could get that resolved. There is LESS overall protection with the Road Glide fairing. More wind will hit your arms and hands etc.

I was leary about buying the EG Classic due to all the stories I heard of buffeting and being knocked all over the road with big rigs etc. I don't feel that. Not horribly worse by a stretch than the road glide at all. I get more protection with the batwing and changing the shields is a snap. The Road GLides are great bikes but also have their issues as they all do. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the EG Classic and don't regret it one bit and I'd buy another one in a heart beat. Would I buy another RG at the right price? In a minute. Overall between the two which would I choose it's a toss up.

Just my two pennies.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:53 PM
bunkerbeer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Road glide is the best bike for me. With that said, we all like dif. things and need dif. things two...
What ever you do, as long as its a HD is just fine...

Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 PM
meveratt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deadbug
I switched at the end of the year to a rg from a sg and it's alot easier to change the batwing
then the shark nose. You can still do it but I'm not sure that the rubber grommets used
are very forgiving if you keep working them in and out for the frequent changes.

Now I switched to a clearview gt large and it's at eye view for me w/ no buffetting
and I am similar height
I don't plan on changing my shield as often unless someone with more experience here
knows how those grommets hold up

hope this helps
I just ordered that same windsheild for my RG. Two questions for you: do you have lowers? and does the windsheild actually measure 14.5" from the logo on the speedo/tach?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:59 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6'4", stock windshield... I like wind though, I want a shorty shield.

Dave, is it me or is you front tire crooked?

Originally Posted by dave7mm

Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 AM
gregsworld
Tourer

6'4" and the Clearview with recurve made all the difference. Love the RG
Greg

Old 05-06-2009, 10:46 AM
elusiveRG
Intermediate

5'8" 30" inseem. Have a clearview -1 with lowers installed. I get slight buffeting but I have had much worse on my older cruisers. Riding in the cold I would like a taller windshield but once summer comes a shorty would be great and they look awesome. Like all bikes the wind direction really seems to make a difference super smooth at times but crosswinds not so good. The fixed fairing though is rock solid.

Cheers
Gary

Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Thanks guys this is the kind of info I was wanting. great job on the replies.

It looks like tall people love the Roadie.

I did forget to mention that speed limits in Texas are almost all 70 mph (excpet for the speed traps LOL). I know almost anything works on a Bat Wing at speeds of 60 and below (excpet for the stock suckie 4"er).

I also now have one problem, I was wanting the new CVO 09 Road Glide (I think it is the hottest looking bike out there, it is beautiful) but my local dealer wants MSRP plus 2 grand. I told him no way. He thinks he has something special. Well he does, but he ain't screwing me over. hahahaha
There's an orange CVO at Roadrunner Harley in San Benito (South Texas). I think they have it marked at $1K over msrp, but they might be willing to deal. Might be worth a call to compare extras anyway (setup, freight, etc.)

Fatguy