Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that have chrome fork sliders,

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:49 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First I've heard about chasing the threads, sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another +1 Chicago HD. Installed myself from tips & threads provided here. Very satisfied.

Arvid

Attached Thumbnails For those that have chrome fork sliders,-p3170004.jpg  
Old 05-05-2009, 10:52 AM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got mine from Chicago HD. Fit & finish first rate.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:33 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

H-D. Great looking and polish nicely.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:38 PM
silverbullitt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine from the dealer when the bike was new. Almost 7 years later they still look new. HD Chrome is hard to beat as far as quality and consistancy. Some aftermarket chromers have different "shades".

Old 05-05-2009, 05:04 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I had mine "upgraded" to OEM H-D chrome Sliders during a warranty repair. They were going to replace my fork sliders due to a clanking noise. With a coupon I had my cost out the door was $240.00!

Last edited by DrPlastic; 05-05-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:14 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the hd forks are show quality-ride safe

Old 05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd buy Harley ones if I had it to do over I got a set of EBAY from a plater that seemed to have a good rep, when I installed them and tighten up the fender a piece of the chrome poped off and you could tell the plater did absolutely no prep work and there was no copper coat under the chrome, it was just a plain old fashioned crappy job.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 PM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
I'd buy Harley ones if I had it to do over I got a set of EBAY from a plater that seemed to have a good rep, when I installed them and tighten up the fender a piece of the chrome poped off and you could tell the plater did absolutely no prep work and there was no copper coat under the chrome, it was just a plain old fashioned crappy job.
Hmmm, wonder which ebay chromer you referring to.
I just finished this job and here's my opinions for what its worth.
Didn't go with HD sliders. Quite frankly, I rarely get a piece of Harley chrome that doesnt have some imperfections. I'm a picky bastard and have returned many an HD piece due to flaws. Parts guy at the dealer says he gets more chrome front end kits back than anything else. Congratulations to those who got acceptable kits, I just didnt want to chance it.
I also went with an ebay plater and was very nervous about getting this package in the mail, only to have to pay shipping to send back flawed pieces. When they arrived I could find no flaws whatsoever, not even a "snowflake". After I completed the install, I polished her up, sat back to admire the transformation and what does my eye detect? The right cowbell had 2 dimpled areas about 3 inches apart, that when hit by the light gave a funhouse mirror effect. Never noticed it until everything was buttoned up. I thought I could live with it but after a couple days of driving me crazy, I tore it apart again and removed the cowbells. Went to the dealer and had to go thru 4 sets to find 2 that were in mint condition. Maybe its just me, but if something is brand new and pricey as well, shouldnt it always be in mint condition? Can you say quality control? Anyway, when putting the right axle bracket back on, I noticed a small area where the chrome had already started to peel off on the bottom of the bracket. It doesnt show because its out of sight but I'll prolly replace it because I know its there. Other than that the lowers are absolutely flawless but upon close inspection, they have kind of a wet look when compared to the HD chrome. This, however, I think I like. The only other issue I had was with the right caliper. I checked and re-checked all alignments in the front end and ended up using .032 shims to get the rotor exactly centered. Only time will tell if the chrome holds up. It does look great with the uppers, lowers, spacers, hardware, caliper screens, polished rotors.
When all was said and done, I only saved the cost of labor by doing it myself but gained invaluable knowledge about the bike. Also had the chance to inspect a bunch of other things with the front end apart.
Oh yah, steering head had virtually no grease, 5000 miles on bike. Doing my own wrenchin from now on.
One of these days, I'll stop being lazy and figure out how to post pics.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:40 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HD here

Quick Reply: For those that have chrome fork sliders,